HybridZ

SVT Cobra 8.8 IRS in a '78 280z

Has there been any forward progress on this? It wouldnt be that hard to have a custom axle shaft made, there are companies out there who do this stuff all the time (the driveshaft shop).

The more issues I have with my axle shafts, the more I want to get rid of everything nissan back there altogether.

I mean, if the S2000 guys can do it, SURELY we can.

They DO drive hondas :rolleyes:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat project. The cost of upgrading a stock S30 rearend to disc brakes, LSD, coilovers, adjustable arms and axle stubs that won't break is outrageous in my opinion. These kind of swaps can be FAR cheaper and work just as well if you like fabricating stuff.

Sure it weighs more...

How much does the ford stuff weigh?

Here is my stock 240z rear suspension/diff/brakes on the scales for reference. 215.2lbs

post-11686-088257200 1345301040_thumb.jpg

post-11686-009797000 1345301049_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Any more progress on this? I'd be curious to know what sort of strut setup you'd use.

Someone should buy just the fabricated lower pieces of Techno Toy Tuning's rear end setup. I believe that allows you to use the Z32 stub axles, and then have a custom half shaft made from that companion flange to the ford stuff. <_<

Someone should do this.

Better yet, someone should make a KIT for this to be done. I can't believe how much time / resources have been spent on adapting nissan stuff to work for the S30, when the ford parts are just plain and simple stronger, more readily available, and MUCH more affordable. Oh, and If someone does do this, PLEASE center the damn wheel in the wheel well. That bugs me every time I look at an S30

But who would want to put non-nissan parts on an S30? Gross.

Edited by SUNNY Z

• 2 weeks later...

Wow..

I was just searching to double check on the z32tt spline count. I was thinking the same thing. Use an 8.8 diff with hybrid z32/Ford shafts and use the ttt plates! Better and less expensive gear and LSD options. I'm just gathering parts and notes as I get this body work done.

Hey guys,

Quick update. I've been working my ass off. The Navy isn't great for downtime... Anyway, I scrapped the SVT rear idea. I bought a C4 Vette rear subframe for the car... It's a Dana 36 which, I know, isn't the greatest... However, I only payed $200 for it and it's in great shape, I plan to mess with it for now and if I eventually break it- Oh well I'll drop the money I would have spent initially on an 8.8 and upgrade to the far beefier Dana 44. the definite upside to the Vette assembly, is that it is a very similar design to the stock system and IMO will be an easier retrofit, as well as being way, way lighter(ie: I can pick the whole thing up by myself. I'll post actual weight once I get my scale back from the neighbor). I promise to post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

R/

Murph

Nice! There is someone local to me selling front and rear setup for 500. I may pick it up too..

I would ensure that the ring/pinion gears aren't shredded or anything, I popped the back cover off before I bought mine... I'm going to buy the front from the same guy I bought the rear from, I just didn't have room for both, I really like the A-arm design of the Vette front subframe. I'll get to that eventually though.

Edited by vertebraille

Ok thanks for the tip.

Also, I'm not sure how different the ZX dimensions are, but on the 280z, even with a proposed 4 inches of fender flare per side- I still plan to narrow the track width of the C4 setup by at least 6 inches. Keep that in mind when you look at it. I have access to a TIG welder so the aluminum won't be to work. If you don't have one/have access to one labor could get expensive, as the "mustache bar" and diff cover are one solid piece on the Vette and will probably need to be shortened as well.

Thanks again. I'm pretty familiar with the vette IRS. I'm still looking into the 8.8 with the ttt plates. Would like the Arizona Zcar stuff because the weigh savings of aluminum but wow their stuff is expensive. The vette stuff is an impulse thing cause its cheap. LOL may grab it for anther project. Keep us posted. Lots of pics!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to have my IRS apart and measured using our Romer arm. I'll import all of the data into SolidWorks and recreate the frame in 3D. If anyone needs or wants any specific measurements I'd be happy to get them for you.

SENZA PARI:

Dimensions of the 8.8 Ford Differential would be valuable to those interested on the forum. Just the differential alone could be mounted in place of the R200 differential. There would need to be detailed dimensions of both the 8.8 and R200 differentials. The goal is to fabricate a steel rear cover for the 8.8 which has the two mounting bosses on the rear cover nearly same as R200. The forward mounts can be mounted in the same manner as the short nose R200 or Q45 rear differential. Digitizing both of these differentials and publishing the 3D frames in a PDF document. Custom Half Shafts with 8.8 mating shafts can be constructed.

The Ford 8.8 differential rear cover plate will not bolt to the mustache bar for the R200. Dimensions for both differentials is needed to know where to locate the two bolt bosses on a custom 8.8 diff cover.

You completely didn't even read Xnke's response. The Ford Explorer has the cover he's talking about. It would bolt to the mustache bar, but the uprights are in the way..... I already covered this 3 clicks away in the drivetrain section.

I'll leave you to your own devices i guess....

He may be onto something, though. You are a good enough fabridator to consider making your own diff cover that used 2 studs like an R200. I've seen some 8.8 diffs with bolts out of the back (are they "girdle" support bolts)? I was thinking maybe one of those covers could be modified....but I've never held one in my hand. Just thinking along with you and cheering you on!

I don't know if you saw his post in the Member Projects section, but Matt blew up his R230 last weekend at Barber Motorsport road racing it. Nothing is too strong to break.

Edited by RebekahsZ

He may be onto something, though. You are a good enough fabridator to consider making your own diff cover that used 2 studs like an R200. I've seen some 8.8 diffs with bolts out of the back (are they "girdle" support bolts)? I was thinking maybe one of those covers could be modified....but I've never held one in my hand. Just thinking along with you and cheering you on!

I don't know if you saw his post in the Member Projects section, but Matt blew up his R230 last weekend at Barber Motorsport road racing it. Nothing is too strong to break.

Also covered.

I HAVE A THREAD YOU KNOW

Haha you're not annoying me in any way. It just seems a bit redundant that this is in a couple locations, and its all fresh info, not in 100 page threads, and there's still discussion about it. I'm just trying to get productive conversation and ideas, but when 1/2 of the people are a step behind, thats annoying.