HybridZ

ford/lincoln 400 240z swap?

I wish this was cheaper... but I think it has given me an idea for making an EFI manifold from a SCUBA ali pony bottle or Spare Air bottle! Add MS and turbos...

http://www.clarkospe...&products_id=35

Intakes for the 400 would be limited, the taller deck height would mean the head faces are further apart and the valley is wider, so 351C manifolds would not work on a 400.

Not really a problem. These manifolds are "dry" so all that is needed are two spacers.... essentially widen a manifold. I've seen a 400M running '70 351C 4V heads and intake manifold. Obsolete, certainly; but, you can make good HP and serious Ford fans have a cure for every ill ever suffered by Cleveland engines. Here is some more information regarding similarities/differences between the Cleveland engines.

g

Have you found a good way to mechanically couple the two assuming the 5r55e's physically robust enough? (Bellhousings, flywheel to input shaft mating, etc?)

Nothing but the vaguest of details so far, i figure if i can get a definitive " yes ive done that and it works just fine" they will hopefully have some details.

At the moment im thinking it wont work but since i can get the package for basically free i think its worth pursuing.

Throw away the stock cam, and go with an aftermarket Cleveland cam, and you can EASILY get 450ft-lbs of torque from a 400M. After reading up on the very few people working with these engines, including Jon Kaase, I swapped the cam in one of our old work trucks that has a 400M in it, went from a stock cam to a very small cleve pulling cam and it totally changed the engine. These motors can become torque beasts!

Throw away the stock cam, and go with an aftermarket Cleveland cam, and you can EASILY get 450ft-lbs of torque from a 400M. After reading up on the very few people working with these engines, including Jon Kaase, I swapped the cam in one of our old work trucks that has a 400M in it, went from a stock cam to a very small cleve pulling cam and it totally changed the engine. These motors can become torque beasts!

Hmm, maybe i should keep the 400m for other projects and go with something else for the Z then, 450ftlbs of torque would be quiet handy in a work truck.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/homemade-bellhousing-project/31440/page1/

Depends on just how balls to the walls you are. This guy did an awesome job making his own bellhousing. I'm not sure how it lasted in the long run, but it looks like a serious quality part when he got done.

Not quite that balls to the walls. Honestly i think im gonna bag the idea and go with a SBC because of how well its explained in the JTR manual. Im usually a Ford sort of guy but it looks like JTR really went thru everything.