HybridZ

willwood on 280zx (S130 fitment)

I want stronger brakes, less unsprung weight and able to keep my options to run either the 14 inch stock wheel for street, or use a 15 inch wheels for summer and track use.

So I don't want to ditch my wheels and tires just for the sake of larger rotors. I'm really in favor of lightness. So I did some research on what the 510 racers do with adapting the 280zx rotors, and the idea I have is to go with Wilwood Forged Dynalite Caliper on the Front, Billet Dynalite Singles on the Rear. Perhaps I could retain the stock rotors or go with even lighter Willwood 10.25" Ultralight vented rotors. I read this combo will reduce the weight of the brake setup by about 10 lbs per wheel.

Front: wilwood forged dynolite 4 piston part # 120-6806 http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperProd.aspx?itemno=120-6806

Rear: wilwood billit dynalite 2 piston part # 120-4060 http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperProd.aspx?itemno=120-4060

1. Has anyone else attempted this conversion on their S130? Any hints on fitment aspects will be appreciated

2. With the stock 14x6 inch 6 spoke wheel are we limited on the ZX to a 10 inch rotor or will a 11 inch rotor just fit? I see others fit the 10 inch ZX and 200sx rotors on 510's and they use 13 inch wheels. My question is more in general on rotor diameter, I understand there are other clearance aspects to consider (wheel offset, wheel design, caliper dimension etc)

3. Does anyone sell Wilwood caliper adapter plates for mounting the mentioned 2 type of calipers to the 280zx strut?

4. Can anyone recommend which Wilwood light 10" rotor & hat to use (what is the required bolt pattern)?

5. What is the stock ZX caliper piston diameter for the front and the rear on these vehicles? (this is a 6/81 production 2+2).

I dont know how much this will, help but go to Members Projects > S30 Series - 240z, 260z, 280z on the 2nd page a few down 4G63/240Z I have some pics. there of wilwoods 4x 1.750 cals with 11.25 rotors in a 14" wheel is a lot of custom work but maybe theres something there for you

1. Most people who are doing bigger brakes get bigger tires because the performance aspect. For the 14" I would just ditch them and go with the Turbo 15" rims if you want a stock look, and then use another pair of 15's and mount summer/track tires on those. You can get a decent set of 15" tires for the practically the same price as the 14" tires.

2. The rotor will fit, but like you said trying to find a caliper that will fit is the hard part. You'd need some aftermarket caliper like the willwood ones you linked, but I'm not sure if they will clear it.

3. You may need to have one made at a local machine shop for you.

You may want to check these kits out, from Arizona Zcar if you haven't already. It says that with the 12.2 in rotor, a 15" rim is required. Obviously doesn't take into account backspacing or the inside wheel face, but you get the picture.

http://arizonazcar.com/510brakes.html

The front 12.2 in rotor looks like the one you linked.