HybridZ

Which Coilover Kit?

So it's time to get my coilovers and I think I have it narrowed down between McKinney Motorsports and Arizona Z Car. I am mainly curious as to why the AZC coilover kit is 1600+ while the McKinney kit is closer to 1200? Is there really that much of a difference between the 2? The kits look virtually the same with adjustable shocks, camber plates and options on the spring rates. Installation also looks to be the same.

What do you guys think?

Are there any other kits out there that I am missing?

I thought about getting the McKinney Megan coilover kit as well, but i decided when its time for me i will piece together a kit to put stance coils on instead. There is a thread in the group buy or vender section (I cant remember) that makes the weldable part for stance coils. Stance also sells them too, not sure who is cheaper though. I am still trying to figure out what to do about the plates to be welded on the towers of the car, not sure if the megan weldable plates or TTT plates work with stance coils.

Edited by disepyon

The $1200 Mckinney kit does not come with the weld in camber plates and uses stock top hats. The Arizona z option includes 4 weld in camber plates at $99 a corner, thus making the difference in price.

Actually it does. For $1,200 you get the kit with the plates OR you send your stock rubber top hats to them to be modified to work with the Megans.

McKinney Motorsport plate on left, Ground Control on right:

IMG_0867.jpg

Edited by GreenState

Actually it does. For $1,200 you get the kit with the plates OR you send your stock rubber top hats to them to be modified to work with the Megans.

McKinney Motorsport plate on left, Ground Control on right:

IMG_0867.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. So does anyone know where the price difference comes from? It seems like they are basically the exact same kit.....

Just checked them out. Seems CRAZY expensive even though it looks like they come complete and ready to bolt in. I think it was close to 3,500 without shocks!

There's a lot of labor involved with the shortening, cleaning, inspecting, and bearing replacement. That's the extra cost over the other vendors that just sell parts. If you can do the work yourself, you save a bunch of money.

This is a pretty tough job and you will see lots of screw ups on the pages of this forum. I bought my kit from a guy who was getting out ot IT racing, parting out his race car, and it was still a lot of work to put together, researching struts, cleaning to bore of the strut tubes, refinishing rusty parts. The guys who do this conversion professionally earn every penny that they make on it. Single best mod I've done to my car.

Is the Ground Control kit out of favor?

I was planning to find a spare set of strut tubes to cut and build following this Handy DIY and use front Illuminaz in back and Mr2 Illumnas in front. While I am there do the front Toy4x4 brakes and rear Maxi's.

Already sourced the heavier 27 spline stubs to upgrade at the same time making a slow project to upgrade.