HybridZ

Arizona Zcar Brake options

This is aimed at those actually BEATING on their Wilwood brake systems.

Until now my brakes have been adequate, but only barely and I know they would burn up in a heat beat at the track as under very spirited driving I can get them to overheat and go hard. Currently I am running 4 piston toyota calipers with stock rotors in the front and the (I hesitate) stock drums in the rear with 300hp.

So Im getting my car put back together from a wreck and I am just gonna bite the bullet and purchase one of the Arizona Z car kits for the front. I have a disc brake conversion for the rear sitting in my garage.

Im a big fan of over-kill when ever funding allows me to go there. My plans are to try and hit 550WHP. Even if I hit 500WHP Id be fairly happy.

With all that power, now more than ever do I want to make sure I have all safety equipment and very good brakes.

So is it going to be worth it to spend the extra $650 for the 13" rotors and 6 piston calipers? Or will the 4 pistons and 12.2" rotor setup still be plenty to stop me on a dime? Im looking at a 1 1/16" MC though I have the option of a 1". Both are already bolt ons for me. Im running rather large tires with approx 25" diameters. Im going a little overboard with it for sure. I just have never had any experience with either of these brake setups and I do not know anyone that actually beats on them at a track with anything close to the power level Im shooting for.

Not even a hint of fade on my 12.2" 's on the track. I have the 1" wilwood and it feels great.

I know EvilC has the same setup with way more power (400+whp LSX) and much bigger tires and I don't think he's had any trouble, even on brake heavy tracks like watkins glen.

That said, if there's ever a place to go overboard it's the brakes...

You could also go with the 13" rotors, and keep the 4 piston calipers vs 6 piston calipers. Dave at Arizona Z has the brackets to do this, and is the setup I went with. I haven't gotten to take this to the track yet, but I assume it should work fine as others have noted with the 12.2 setup.

I will have to call Arizona Zcar and discuss the 13" rotor option. I want to be able to order my replacement rotors from anywhere I please without having to drill or modify anything again such as lug patterns. If they have a 13" Willwood rotor with 4 lug as an option that I can order from any Willwood distributor like SummitRacing Im likely to go that route with the 4 piston calipers. Im also considering ditching my rear disc brake conversion that's in my garage for the Silvermine stage 4 vented rotors. Im not reading good things about them, but Nigel suggests a few fixes that make them viable is I can discern exactly what he did to an $800 kit to make them better.

Thanks for all the input guys. I will be sure to document my re-build process in the RB forum as I progress!

Ray

Will a 15 inch wheel clear the 12.2 inch kit?

It varies per wheel type, offset, spacers etc. I know there are guys who have run them, but I also know the 15" turbo wheels I had lying around would not clear.