HybridZ

Speedhut Gauge Install

BLOZ UP

I got some Speedhut gauges a while back and decided to install them now. I got:

4" Revolution GPS speedometer, with fuel gauge, turn signal indicators, and high-beam indicator

4" Revolution 8,000 RPM tachometer

I installed them in the housings of the 280Z gauges. I put the new speedometer in the 280Z's tachometer housing and dash location. I used the 280Z speedometer's location and housing for the new tachometer.

I heard about other people using a small 4" section of PVC pipe. I just used the old tachometer housing's screw retainers for the speedometer. For the new tachometer, I had to cut out the back of the old speedometer, and then I used some laptop screws so that they would extend further in the housing for the threaded ring to catch.

So far, so good, but I haven't wired it up and tested it yet.

76002b7.jpg

28508cd.jpg

9716665.jpg

The full writeup is here: http://www.blozup.com/node/37

I haven't yet got any replacements for the 3 gauges. I have some Greddy 2-1/16" gauges just ziptied where the radio goes at the moment. I want some 2-5/8" ones for the 3 gauges in the dash. Will probably be boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure, which is the same as the Greddy ones I have now.

I'm wiring it up right now--I believe my high beams to be shorted. I can't get the LED to light properly, and I'm using a relay. Man they didn't think this through when they designed it. Either that or relays were really expensive back in the 70s...

I finished the wiring. Besides the high-beam indicator, it went smoothly. The high beam indicator is on a switched ground, and receives +12v all the time (or at least, IGN). So I hooked up a relay to activate upon being grounded, providing +12V to the new Speedhut indicator. However, it doesn't work but I believe a fault in my headlight wiring--my high-beams don't work.

Other than that you can group all the gauge power, ground, and light connections (for both gauges and gauge lighting inverters), to the same 3 wires. The gauges take a fraction of the power the original ones consume.

75fa175.jpg

1fe4591.jpg

Also pictured is part of my new 240Z wheel. It's nice to not have a wheel wrapped with electrical tape anymore.

Full writeup: http://www.blozup.com/node/38

Edited by BLOZ UP

Why did you still use the clear plexiglas cover? I ditched mine when I did my install. I use the stock front black plastic trim piece as well and only friction fit my gauges into place. I also used a relay for my high-beam indicator, but unlike you mine actually works. :) I gotta say, I love the combo speedo/fuel gauge setup. I wish they had that when I ordered mine.

Why did you still use the clear plexiglas cover? I ditched mine when I did my install. I use the stock front black plastic trim piece as well and only friction fit my gauges into place. I also used a relay for my high-beam indicator, but unlike you mine actually works. :) I gotta say, I love the combo speedo/fuel gauge setup. I wish they had that when I ordered mine.

Good question... I removed it to test fit but didn't like the lip that was left over. I tried to make it look stockish. But really, it's kind of a pain to push the buttons. Have to have a screwdriver in the car. But I have a bunch of spare ones since they always have that free screwdriver set deal at HF. They hand those things out like they're french fries in a combo meal.

The stock fuel gauge apparently has filtering in it. My new one bounces a little during braking/accelerating from the slosh in the tank. Not a big deal.

I am looking into gettting gauges that look like the should be in the dash. These do the trick, but...

Just a random Question, Why would you get a Gps speedo? Versus A normal one?

anyway one last question Do you have a link on where you purchased your gauges?

Because now I don't have to worry about speedo cable/wires from the transmission, diff gear ratios, tire sizes, etc. It just works. It's getting a signal in less than a minute, which is faster than I can pull out of my driveway.

They are Speedhut gauges. A google search would lead you straight to their website. I purchased the Revolution gauges.

If you have a car with a "modern" transmission that uses a digital speed sensor, I would opt for the normal speedo. Calibration of the speedo is stupid simple even for ratio changes due to gearing, differentials, tires, etc. However, if you have a mechanical sending unit in an older transmission, the GPS speedo is the way to go.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Did you have to use a msd tach adapter with this or can you use a tach from there with out the adapter. I have a 6/73 240z and have a msd type 2 blaster coil. currently tach does not work. it can, but no adapter. and Im gonna upgrade the speedo eventually but i need to start with the tach first. Also was this done to a 240z or a 280z? i keep seeing 240 then 280. kinda confusing a little haha.

Edited by 3ryce

Ah. so ide probable have to use an adapter and the 6A even with a new guage. Could I Use a 280z or zx distributor and then not need the adapter? could i use the stock 73 tach with the newer dizzy or would that still not work?

I have a msd blaster 2 coil, I want a new Tach, but I dont think that just getting a new tach will work. So I guess ide need a different dizzy, and not need the adapter. Correct?