HybridZ

L28et swap dies less than a minute.

It used to start and stay on. It ran fine until yesterday. I turned it on and after about a minute it shuts off. I tried giving it gas and it just dies as if it was choking. The weird thing is once I crank it, it starts right up until about another minute and starts to choke again and dies. I haven't done a thorough diagnosis yet but I have checked the AFM(kinda hard to diagnose??) well the flapper works when I give it gas so I'm not TOO sure its the AFM. I do hear the fuel pump prime the engine so sometime tomorrow or the next day I will check the fuel pressure, JUST to make sure I'm getting enough fuel. I'm not the best diagnoser (if thats even a word) but I'll try my best, so stay tuned on my progress. Feel free for any input on what I should be doing. BTW I will post a video as soon as I can so you guys can hear it.

What I think I need to do

1. Check fuel -> filters and fuel pressure

2. Check spark/ignition -> ignition module? coil??

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been driving it or just starting it on jack stands? And how old is the gas? I know you too your time with the swap so it could be as simple as bad gas, hopefully.id also double check all electrical connections and anything you needed to splice to get it running.

I highly recommend installing a permanent fuel gauge in the fuel rail lines.  That's one of the most important and most often way to eliminate running issues.   FUEL>SPARK>COMPRESSION. 

Edited by cygnusx1

Yeah Blue LONG TIME RIGHT? lol. Seems TOO long for me. Yeah the gas is pretty recent. Its from about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Im gonna recheck my wiring today. The car is on the ground now, no more jacks. :)

CYGNUSX1 Thats not a bad idea I'll look into it!

Edited by xShodaimex

I haven't switched out to a new better looking fuel rail yet. I still got the barbed one which is a sore eye to me. Any recommendations on which in-line gauge I should use?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMETER-2176-1-1-2-INLINE-FUEL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-0-60PSI-/290470026765?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a15cde0d&vxp=mtr#ht_3776wt_910

^Maybe something like this yeah?

I finally checked the pressure and it primed to only 25 psi, so I primed it again and it went to 35 psi. After I started it it went down to 26 psi. I gave it some throttle and it would not go higher than 30 psi. From what I recall, the fuel line must be 30 - 37 psi while idling no?

35psi is normal for my 280zx NA, so I would easily expect the same for an L28et. What pump are you using? Could just be old.

As for a fuel pressure guage, When I had my webers I was using a cheap as autozone gauge that screwed into a plastic fitting and I just had it right after the fuel rail on the return line side.

If you want your engine bay to look a little bit nicer try and find a used pallnet rail. It makes a world of difference appearance wise.

Here is the way I did it, in anticipation of my turbo swap. I used a fuel rail with an aeromotive fpr and a simple liquid filled gauge threaded into it. You can see the hardline runs straight into my fule filter (black thing) and on the right side there is a rubber hose running into the FPR, that's the return.

WP_000179.jpg

On a side note are you going to college yet?

LONG STORY SHORT, I remembered that I just happened to have a 280zxt alternator, so I thought to myself "Why not just swap it out?" I'm usually scared to cut and splice into the stock wires(not very good with eletrical stuff) But I decided to give it a try! So last night I spent about 2 hours reading back and forth on the swaps.

Here's what I read.

Bludestiny's post ->>

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/98123-early-260z-alternator-upgrade/

I used the Volt reg. diagram for the 75' Z as a base to compare to my late model 260's diagram

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

And here is the Volt regulator diagram for the "REDHEADED STEP CHILD 260z" straight from the FSM! I just added the color wires to make it easy on the eyes :)260zwiringvoltreg.png

Edited by xShodaimex

After I read last night I felt pretty confident about conquering this task! Here's what I did, took out the volt reg and cutted the male end.\photo3.jpg

I then started to wire up the male end .

Number 1 (black/yellow stripe) to Number 5 (white/black stripe)OR FROM THE MALE END #1(white) to #5(green) with a diode in between

and also # 2 and 3 together which on the male end is colors Red and Purple.

photo2.jpg

It starts but I checked and it doesn't seem to charge at all so I checked it and it DOESN'T charge!!

Here is the 280zxt alternator, I'm not sure what the plug in orange but it's marked "P" near it. Nothing seems to plug into it so I left it alone. The red circle on the other hand seems to be having power coming from it since I checked it with a test light.

photo.jpg

To sum this all up, I'm pretty sure that I wired it up correctly, but I'm stumped about the NO CHARGE. I must be missing something?

What do I do with this? I think it's the shunt.

photo1-1.jpg

Does the wire to L have 12.6 volts (battery voltage) with the key at Run? That wire powers the windings that create the internal magnets that are required for charging.

The wire to S needs 12.6 volts also, to sense the voltage for the regulator to control the voltage.

And, of course, the thick white wire should have 12.6 also, since it is the charging wire.

And the case needs to be grounded, either directly or through the E terminal.

You can measure all three with a voltmeter the key at Run, and the grounding with an ohm-meter or test light. If you don't have those, something's wrong with the wiring. If you do have those, you might have an alternator problem.

I have made some progress today!! I checked the terminals S and I have constant power from the battery and terminal L does have switched power now, so I knew it had to be my wiring that was not right. So I tried taking out the diode and wiring #1 straight to 5 and it still didn't charge. So on my cut up connector I checked the terminals separately and found that #6 also has switched power, so I swapped out 1 for 6. SO I AM USING 5/6 and 2/3.

5to6.jpg

**This was from TrumpetRhapsody

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/40818-260z-alternator-voltmeter-swap/

--> One of his post mentions using wires black/white to wires white/black, so for the LATE 260z its wires 5 and 6.

It NOW CHARGES!! But my only problem is that I cannot get it to charge with the diode. I will see what else I can do tomorrow.

BTW I have a temporary switch that Im using to power the fuel pump (kill switch) so all I do is turn that switch on and off. I do have a run on problem though with the ignition key off. I feel really close to finishing this!!

Edited by xShodaimex

When I think I'm done, it craps out on me AGAIN! At first the alternator gave up so I thought my car died because the alternator crapped out. With that replaced it still dies. :angry: I will check for spark today and will report back later tonight.

Yes, went to local autozone and they said it wasn't charging correctly.

I also checked for spark last night and I AM getting spark. I have a spare voltage reg, so im gonna try to use that and use a buddy's spare alternator from his Z.