HybridZ

L28et swap dies less than a minute.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternator works now, I just got done rechecking everything and Im sure it has fuel AND spark. Im pretty stumped now.

Here's a video, tell me what you guys think? Sorry for the short video, I had to shorten it since it was sent from my phone.

th_IMG_03851.jpg

It just dies after I give it a little bit of throttle. Besides that sometimes it just starts to backfire a bit and then dies itself.

Edited by xShodaimex

NewZed - I have checked fuel pressure while it was running and I only got 25 to 26 psi, it does rise to ALMOST 30 when I give it gas..

BluDestiny - Its an 82, yeah the spark plug wires are set correctly, I thought that at first too but I checked and its all good. I'm not sure about the dizzy though, never touched it at all. BTW I just remembered about the fuel filter that you and I put in the back near the pump. I'm going to try to take it off to see if it makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I tried cleaning the throttle body out today. Also took a look to see what was in there and it looks really black in the manifold.. I touched it and smelled it and am not really sure what it is. Looks like dry dirty oil??

throttle.jpg

Near the bottom I put my finger in there and it was a bit moist. Almost like oil.

Edited by xShodaimex

I have checked fuel pressure while it was running and I only got 25 to 26 psi, it does rise to ALMOST 30 when I give it gas..

Do these numbers match the spec. in the FSM for your control system? Might be a clue to your problem.

I have read from 2 sources that my fuel pressure should be at a minimum of 30, and also read that it should be at 35 psi. So at this point Im thinking 2 possible things. Time for a new fuel pump or time to send these injectors to the cleaners!

Getting the injectors clean is defiantly worth it I think, and you can either have them just cleaned, or cleaned and flow tested.

RC injectors in Socal will clean and flow test them for $25 an injector.

I feel like a new fuel pump wouldn't hurt either, but you could probably just try and guy a used one that works off a known member. I sold mine to my friend for like $20, but then again he bought like $200 of parts from me to get his ZX running.

My fuel pressure is set to 35ish. I had it down to 30 though when I was doing cross country. Saved gas.

Don't remember if you said you changed all the rubber gas lines and filters, but you should do that too. And how is the tank? Do you know if its rusty inside?

As for the throttle body being black, that's normal for an old car. The PVC system is routed to the throttle body so if the engine is old it probably has some blow by or oil getting past things. If its a lot of oil that's bad (like a steady drip). Does it smell like gas or oil more?

I have read from 2 sources that my fuel pressure should be at a minimum of 30, and also read that it should be at 35 psi. So at this point Im thinking 2 possible things. Time for a new fuel pump or time to send these injectors to the cleaners!

The point was that the FSM is full of good information on how things are supposed to be. Apparently your two sources don't include the FSM, since 36.3 is the spec. number in the FSM.

Your increase in pressure with revving might be due to the fuel pump voltage control modulator used on some of the ZXes, if you included it in your swap. Just a guess. Or your electrical system is not supplying full voltage at idle and revving increases voltage to the pump.

Everything's described in the Engine Fuel and Emissions section.

If I understand the turbo motors correctly, running lean is a very good way to cause detonation. So you might be on the path to "Finally got my L28ET running and it blew up! Why?"

The FSM is your friend. Good luck.

Blu : I have changed out all the lines that were old and hard and also changed the filters. It also smells more like gas. As for the tank I am really not sure if it's rusted inside .

Newzed: thanks I have the 82 fsm from the xenon site, I couldnt find the actual pressure but I did manage to test the tps and airflOw meter following the instructions.. Only thing is that the numbers on the terminals wasn't the same..

Thanks you guys I really appreciate all the help.. I'm going to get my injectors cleaned and tested as well as get a new fuel pump.. I will let you guys know how it goes!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE; I came upon a thread showing how to do a Chevy HEI ignition module conversion, and I thought to myself "I should try that". I got the part for 27 bucks and what do you know, my car started on the first crank!

Nice, is it driveable now?

• 1 month later...

Leon. It was drivable for about a month. NOW the same problem comes up, starts up and dies upon given gas. I had the ignition module tested 2 times and checked out fine. =/ So sad.

Have you solved the low fuel pressure issue? That sounds like a possible root cause.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...