HybridZ

SBC Engine Bay Pics

I'm in the process of building my SBC and would love some inspiration. Please feel free to post any pics you have of your motor either in the car or on the stand. I would start this thread with my own pics, but at the moment, my aluminum 202 heads are in my closet along with my harmonic dampener, my pulley kit is in a box in my garage and my block, crank, pistons, etc are in the machine shop while i await the arrival of a flywheel, so I can get it all balanced. Very excited about the assembly process though. Please post pics! Thanks.

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Edited title to help clarify.

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased:

2012-07-24200414.jpg

2012-07-24200425.jpg

Its a pretty old swap, and even though everything is oxidizing the engine is fresh.

If anyone happens to know what headers I have please let me know. The collectors are not welded on, rather they have pins or something to retain them to 2 out of 4 header pipes on each side. The clear the steering shaft and the frame rails pretty well. They cannot be removed with the SBC in the car and in order to change the oil filter they do have to be removed(my only complaint so far).

My goal for Saturday(today) is to replace the whole fuel system up to the engine, and put some exhaust on it that isnt cherry bombs with turn downs so I can fire it off today for the first time since around 2007. Wish me luck

Edited by rayaapp2

• 2 weeks later...

Mike are your headers ceramic coated? (professionally).

Calico coatings in Denver NC (no affiliation or financial interest in calico) accepts shipments and does great work. I've had my zcar headers ceramic coated silver, my camaro z28 (1978) ceramic coated black, my GTO black, and the SCARAB silver.

The ceramic coating reduced heat in the engine compartment of each by no less than 30 degrees (yes I tested and measured temps) and in the case of the zcar substantially more.

The key is a credible/reputable coating company. You want a 4 mil thick application and the. black coating seems to cool after running the quickest.

Just my two cents...

manifoldinsulation.jpg

I have the ceramic coating on the headers, heat wrap, and the wrap silicone coating carefully applied to ONLY the wrap itself. It will still burn plug boots if they touch. Clearance is close with all the wrap. I cannot use the fat boots or they touch. I have managed to get small boots and with boot protectors to last.

The engine compartment gets hot because there is very little airflow through the engine bay due to sealing the front clip and underpan. The aero research suggested this was highly beneficial.

Okay, this is more of a clearance issue. I had that same issue and the solution was a different set if shorty headers that allowed for the plug clearance. I only have mine ceramic coated and don't have the plug issue anymore. I don't recall specifics, it's been some time since I addressed the issue but I will pull the invoices soon and post detail. While I don't recall the detail I do recall the fact both header sets were shorty headers (the one created the problem and the set that fixed the problem).

You could try racing plugs, they are much shorter than standard plugs?

Posts deleted. The thread starter asked for SBC's and picture sizes need to be kept down to something reasonable.

You know there is a thread about headers that you posted a response to 4 days ago and a picture of some tri-y headers were just as large a file as the one you deleted. If your going to delete someone's post's at least you should not be selective with your decision making.

Here is the link to the post I'm referring to. its post #4 pic

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/108366-latest-info-on-headers-for-sbc-yes-i-searched/

Here is one of mine when I first got it installed. I have since repainted the headers black and changed out the green alt for a stock metal one. I have also changed the head gaskets due to a radiator hose blowing a hole in it at night when my dash gauge lights were not working...

DSC06542.jpg

DSC06538.jpg

with it on the stand

frontengine.jpg

and with the tranny attached

DSC05643.jpg