HybridZ

Sanden A/C Compressor install

Have searched the forums and could not find a thread or information on this...

I currently have a SBC with long water pump and am using the GM A-6 style A/C compressor with GM factory driver's side mounting brackets.

The fit it very tight, but does work with just enough clearance to the strut tower.

The body is a 1976 280Z coupe with the engine location somewhere in between the MSA and JTR locaions.

Have any of you installed a Sanden 508 or similar style A/C compressor onto a first gen SBC with V-groove pullys on the driver's side of an S30?

Also, have seen set-ups from various A/C shops but could not find a set up that would bolt up in the location that my current A-6 compressor is with no power steering.

My plan is to replact the big A-6 with a Sanden compressor, but need to figure out the mounting position that will have sufficient hood and fender clearance, as well as a belt tensioning system since there obviously is no power steering unit installed.

Would appreciate any inforamtion or advice.

Thanks all!

I just finished bolting up my Sanden compressor today. I wanted it mounted on the driver's side but did not want it outside the valve cover. I was lucky and found the compressor and bracket on a Dodge truck at Pull-A-Part.

It appears that someone started adding A/C to the truck and then abandoned the project. There was also a new condenser and both the condenser and compressor still had the factory caps on them.

post-1949-072170100 1340666051_thumb.jpg

post-1949-026937700 1340666059_thumb.jpg

Check out MARCH PERFORMANCE. they make what you are looking for. I had one hooked up before I switched it over to the passanger side for my Super charger in stall. I'll put a link to my photobucket account so you can see some of my old pix of the a/c install. I think they are on the 5th or 6th page. http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa431/fastzcars/

Edited by fastzcars

Hello,

I have a the March Style setup on my 240z. I run the ac compressor on the pass side and alt on the driver side. Its a mid mount setup so it clears the hood with plenty of space. If you don't run the power steering, no tensioned is needed.

Also chose to run on passenger side so I could run all my lines thru pass firewall. When I get home, I will post pics if ya want them.

Edited by roro4g63

Hello,

I have a the March Style setup on my 240z. I run the ac compressor on the pass side and alt on the driver side. Its a mid mount setup so it clears the hood with plenty of space. If you don't run the power steering, no tensioned is needed.

Also chose to run on passenger side so I could run all my lines thru pass firewall. When I get home, I will post pics if ya want them.

Thanks for the replies.

Seems like I'll need to fabricate or modify brackets to mount the Sanden compressor in the driver's side location that I prefer.

Don't get me wrong. You can purchase a ready made bracket for the driver side mount. You just have to visit marches website.

Thanks again fastzcars.

I know of the March Perf products but most if not all of them are for short style water pump set up.

I want to keep my long pump with V-groove pulleys.

You got a really nice car too! I have similar wheels, but mine has slots instead of circle cut outs.

Before I went to a serpentine setup, I made a custom bracket and some mounts (which I no longer have) for mine.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Thanks for the post Mike.

That is the basic idea of what I'm looking for, other than having the compressor mounted on the drivers side next to the valve cover.

The stock GM A-6 compressor mount is in that location, so I'll just fab up some brackets for the Sanden unit that will fit in that same location.

A low mount on either side will not work due to my headers, fuel and oil lines being in the way.

Also my engine is not set back a far as the JTR position, so clearance to the radiator fan is very tight.

Cheers all!

I have an old-style SBC with a Sanden 508 compressor, sitting just in front of the driver's (Port, not Starboard) cylinder head. I welded a piece of 3/8" ID tubing to a 6 inch or so length of 1" angle iron. The tubing is long enough to fit between the ears of the compressor, and a long bolt goes throught the ears and the tube. The angle iron is bolted to the top two engine mount bolts that prutrude through the JTR steel mounting plate for the driver's side of the engine. I bought a turnbuckle type of adjuster from street & performance for the top. I bolts to the top ear of the compressor and a lug on the water pump (long pump).

Sometimes, you have to be an old hotrodder and just make the stuff yourself (and save some money!)

Here's a link to a page of engine compartment shots that show where it's mounted. http://alteredz.com/TrialFit.htm

Sometimes, you have to be an old hotrodder and just make the stuff yourself (and save some money!)

Here's a link to a page of engine compartment shots that show where it's mounted. http://alteredz.com/TrialFit.htm

Totally agree with you on this one Pete. Some times you have no choice if you want it to all fit in our Z's I have a/c P/S and Super charger all fit under the stock hood. believe me I HAD to make EVERY bracket from scratch to make it all fit!

Edited by fastzcars

I have a "vintage air" gen2 unit. It was the smallest unit that they made at the time i purchased it about 4/5 years ago. I called them up, told them what I ha and they put a kit together for me.

Edited by fastzcars

I looked at their website and didn't see anything listed. I will give them a call later today and see if they have anything available. What kind of mods did you have to do to mount the unit ? does it still use the original heater/defroster ? Thanks.

Nope. None of the control's or the fan heater box are used. The old heater box will have to be removed. The vintage air unit is all self contained in one box. You'll have to make custom brackets to mount it up inside/behind the dash. I found it easier to remove the dash to mount it. It was not an easy install by any means. As an alternative Motorsports Auto has an a/c kit as well. You might want to call them up as well.

• 1 month later...

Have searched the forums and could not find a thread or information on this...

I currently have a SBC with long water pump and am using the GM A-6 style A/C compressor with GM factory driver's side mounting brackets.

The fit it very tight, but does work with just enough clearance to the strut tower.

The body is a 1976 280Z coupe with the engine location somewhere in between the MSA and JTR locaions.

Have any of you installed a Sanden 508 or similar style A/C compressor onto a first gen SBC with V-groove pullys on the driver's side of an S30?

Also, have seen set-ups from various A/C shops but could not find a set up that would bolt up in the location that my current A-6 compressor is with no power steering.

My plan is to replact the big A-6 with a Sanden compressor, but need to figure out the mounting position that will have sufficient hood and fender clearance, as well as a belt tensioning system since there obviously is no power steering unit installed.

Would appreciate any inforamtion or advice.

Thanks all!

UPDATE: After further research; anyone interested in putting a Sanden 508 style AC compressor on the DRIVER's side; I ended up using Alan Grove P/N 137L bracket kit.

This mounts the Sanden compressor low enough to clear the hood, and provides more than enough clearance for belt adjustment. This kit requires stock style GM heads that have the 3 bolt holes for accessories. The brackets bolt to one of the water pump holes and the three accessory holes on the head.

As noted I'm using the old style V-belt pulleys and the alignment is spot on. Am sure this kit will work with an aftermarket belt kit too.

If you are using older style SBC heads that have no holes, you can use P/N 119L, which uses the 1st and 3rd holes on the exhaust.

Hope this info helps anyone that wants to update their AC compressor in lieu of the Frigidaire A6, and wants a bolt on kit vs. fabricating your own.

UPDATE: After further research; anyone interested in putting a Sanden 508 style AC compressor on the DRIVER's side; I ended up using Alan Grove P/N 137L bracket kit.

This mounts the Sanden compressor low enough to clear the hood, and provides more than enough clearance for belt adjustment. This kit requires stock style GM heads that have the 3 bolt holes for accessories. The brackets bolt to one of the water pump holes and the three accessory holes on the head.

As noted I'm using the old style V-belt pulleys and the alignment is spot on. Am sure this kit will work with an aftermarket belt kit too.

If you are using older style SBC heads that have no holes, you can use P/N 119L, which uses the 1st and 3rd holes on the exhaust.

Hope this info helps anyone that wants to update their AC compressor in lieu of the Frigidaire A6, and wants a bolt on kit vs. fabricating your own.

I would just like to thank you for this information you have just made my sway alot easier sir!