HybridZ

That ferrari Sound....

Guest Anonymous

Ferrari's sound like Ferrari's because they're V12's, I don't think roller cams sound like that, and if its a Ford V8, I'm not sure you're going to get that sound ever. Just an opinion, a dual tip might sound good, but like a Ferrari, IMHO nah, don't think so.

Regards,

Lone

I'm building a Velo Rossa and want achieve that same sound. I was told to split the dual exhuast into "quad-exhaust" as close to the headers as possible and use dual-in, dual-out mufflers on each side. I honestly have no idea if that will truely work. The problem (and expense) is getting four pipes under an already space-challenged Z. I doubt I will go that route myself.

Guest Anonymous

Easy, just get 2 L24's, destroke and bore them out a little bit, take the front end off a cadillac to fit em, and then swap it all into your Z! Simple bolt-in bonk.gif

But seriously.. doesn't some of the sound come from the a large bore:stroke ratio and high-revvability?

-980mak rockon.gif

One of the biggest reasons for the Ferarri sound is that they use a flat crank. In other words, the firing sequence alternates between cylinder banks evenly. This doesn't balance as well as the 'normal' uneven firing order, but it makes exhaust tuning much more effective.

If you are using a V8, you could approximate it by using 180 degree headers - these cross the exhaust runners over to get back to an even firing order at the collectors. I would guess that this would be fairly difficult to fit in a Z, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Originally posted by Trevor:

The closest non-Ferrari engine I've ever heard that sounded like a Ferrari was a Datsun L-6!!!

Thats exactly what I was going to say, damn similar. I believe the first Lamborghini was a straight 6 as well, with 3 carbs. It shared oil with the engine/trans, ick!

Check the second clip on this site:

http://www.ccsi.com/~tholt/video.htm

Guest Anonymous

I had acustom exhaust built for my 320 hp (West Coast Mustang Long Block 302) This long block came with GT40P heads so my old cast iron manifolds wouldn't fit.

The shop that did the work has been doing nothing but custom fab race headers for years. What they built for my 260Z was called a correct firing tuned header that collected into a flat 4 collector for ground clearance) 2.5 in size. Then a Y pipe into a single 3" pipe exiting through the normal Z exhaust location with a large 3" Dyna Flow (I think)muffler.

This system does not have the low seperated pulses, sounds more like a medium shriek. I'v had nothing but positive statements from fellow auto-xers about the sound the new system emits and it seems extract from the engine perfectly.

Brian

(I really, really, really need to hook up with someone that could take a tape out of my Sony digital recorder and make an MPG or sound file from it.)

At much over 2500 rpm, my V8, with block huggers, 2.5" duals, X-Pipe and two Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo mufflers sounds downright "european" as several people have pointed out. The X-pipe, along with the mufflers sitting next to each other at the rear REALLY evens out the exhaust pulses. Maybe not Ferarri like, but definitely not a typical V8 sound.

Guest Anonymous

Get a a full length tape of that Euro sound and send it to TomaHawk in Ohio. He can install a big sound system in his GTO and replicate that sound while cruising. My friend ocbaar has offered this same suggestion to me many times trying to persuade me not to V8 the Tomahawk Zee LOL