HybridZ

Reinstalling cam sprocket

I am in the process of installing a new head gasket and need some help. I put the wood wedge to keep the timing chain in place but now when I put the cam sprocket into the chain it is about 1 maybe 1.5 cm to low to allow me to re-bolt it to the cam shaft. I am assuming the chain tensioner has pulled some of the chain down. How do I get the tensioner to compress where I can get the extra little room to bolt the cam sprocket back to the cam. I am hoping I will not have to pull the front of the motor off but if that's the only way to fix it how do I lock the motor enough to take the crank pulley bolt off? Is it reverse threads? I can't find any information in my repair manual to help me out.

Sounds like your wedge didn't work. I don't know of another way to recover but to remove the timing cover.

The crank pulley has normal threads, the easiest way to remove it is with an impact wrench. If the engine is in the car, to reinstall you will have to set your brake and put it in gear; then you can apply enough torque. If the engine is out, build a wedge to engage the flywheel teeth and torque away.

So I went to take off the front engine cover and three bolts holding the cover snapped and one of the 4 holding the oil pump on snapped . Any ideas on how to get the oil pump out or the broken bolt out so I can get the oil pump out to try and get the front cover off.?

Wow, that sucks, but not unexpected if they haven't been removed in a while.

The oil pump should just come off, even if the bolts snap, as it's held on by the heads. Then there may be a stub to which you can clamp or grind to get it out. Better soak it with penetrating oil first. The timing cover may come off as well, but you may be in the business of drilling out the frozen snapped off bolt pieces and retapping them for heli-coils.

• 2 weeks later...

I see your past this point, but for others dealing with this issue here is my advise-

If the tensioner slips out you can always use a light, magnet, and a long screwdriver to pop it back in, Ive done it many times. The main thing you want to watch out for is if the chain has jumped a tooth on the crank sprocket, then it can be a pain. Most of the time if the sprocket is close but just wont line up with the cam, the tensioner is still in its just out a bit and needs to be pried back into place.