HybridZ

280Z Upgrade "Stub" Axles

JustAFantaZ

Update: Car's back together...picked it up Saturday.

Looks so much better with the "Chequered Flag Racing" on black in the center of my rear wheels instead of the old rusty hubs. Withstood some abuse Saturday night pretty well. Feels solid and even sounds different from within the car.

Thanks so much!

I would not have searched that link since I have the Q45 diff and custom adapters. I sent his Website link to the shop so we can get moving on this.

The video is uploaded, but I need to trim it before posting the link.

was wondering if you have ever had a q45 diff slip on you, or are you running a shimmed diff?

• 3 months later...

Got back to the track last night, and all the diff parts and support held together on some brand new Hoosier QTPs...even on a 5-grand launch which was a   little too much.

First ever 10-sec pass on the motor!

Vid1: 

Vid2: 

Timeslip: JustAFantaZ_Pass2_Timeslip_zps11c9f4c0.j

With that major goal out of the way, moved on to some bottle passes and here was the last, best, and scariest!

Vid1: 

Vid2: 

Timeslip:JustAFantaZ_Pass5_Timeslip_zpsb93bdf31.j

I'm so happy that the clutch and new axles held up to whatever we threw at them and the car began to explore some of its potential. Thanks Chequered Flag Racing!

Edited by JustAFantaZ

Huge fan!  Absolutely Awesome.  Looks like you got that line lock working good, or is that left-footing?  The tires seem to fit inside your wheel wells really well - what size are your QTPs on what rim (width and backspacing)?  How big of a shot are your spraying?  When you change from all-motor to spray, what do YOU have to do to tell the computer that you are changing-just let the Lingfelter box work automatically, or do you select a different tune using your dataport and a laptop/hand-held device?  I friggin' hate Pro-tree.  Awesome-simply awesome.

Huge fan!  Absolutely Awesome.  Looks like you got that line lock working good, or is that left-footing?  The tires seem to fit inside your wheel wells really well - what size are your QTPs on what rim (width and backspacing)?  How big of a shot are your spraying?  When you change from all-motor to spray, what do YOU have to do to tell the computer that you are changing-just let the Lingfelter box work automatically, or do you select a different tune using your dataport and a laptop/hand-held device?  I friggin' hate Pro-tree.  Awesome-simply awesome.

Thanks! I'm using the old school method, relying on tach and sound of the engine.

The tires seem to fit better than the ET Streets, 26x9.5-15 vs 235/60-15. With the Tokico 5-way adjustable struts set to the highest setting, and with the fenders rolled, only on the worst bumps and dips did the 235s rub a little. That was easily controlled by being observant of the road ahead though. The rear wheels are 15x7 and came from the '77 Z I had bought from a member here. He used to run 235 ET Streets at the track and did pretty good, but I don't really know the offset or anything. I got the 17" wheels with the 225 Nitto NT01's from MotorSport Auto and they have "standard offset" for stock z-cars. Those don't rub the fenders at all.

As for the spray, it's a 150-shot which can be safely used on pump 93 gas with a little octane boost. The timing box does all the work so I have full performance on and off the bottle...dyno-tuned on the 150-shot. With the window switch set for 4400, I (as in we, me and my driver mod haha) only need to launch less aggressively and be ready to shift as soon as it kicks in while in first gear! We still don't have this technique down very well, but there is only room for improvement. I hate pro-tree too, but I've managed to cut some decent lights in my automatic cars before.

Pics of the rear end and axle set please ?

I don't have any good direct pics of the new stuff installed, but here are a couple of albums with various shots. I just uploaded some for this post:

http://s1133.beta.photobucket.com/user/ls30w00/library/Tx2k12%20Prep

http://s1133.beta.photobucket.com/user/ls30w00/library/280Z%20Stub%20Axles

http://s1133.beta.photobucket.com/user/ls30w00/library/1977%20280Z%20Pics

You can see just the outside hub and new studs here...just uploaded:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m589/ls30w00/280Z%20at%20SAR%20Midnight%20Madness%2020121222/DSC01136_zps9f9b0bb1.jpg

Its just a Q45 diff and CF CM stub axles, if I'm not mistaken. 

Yes.

I've had computer trouble so I just got to watch those videos with sound-wow, sounds like you are still spinning a lot!  I need your driver mod to teach me how to shift...

Still working on that ideal balance between bog and spin for this setup...looks like somewhere around 3500