HybridZ

BMW E90 M3 driving impressions

bjhines

Thanks HybridZ for spoiling me forever.

I was recently test driving a 2009 BMW E90 M3 with the 400+hp V8 engine and a manual transmission and I was surprised by it's performance... It has no kick-in-the-pants pull... It has low torque for it's power, and you have to rev the thing past 6K before you get strong "pull" in second gear. It is 1200lbs heavier than the Datsun, and it is 600lbs heavier than my old M3, but it has over 400hp. I would have thought it would deliver some kick ass pull in second gear. It does not, or maybe I have been spoiled by my 240Z V8 track car with 400hp at 2500lbs.

I think I have been ruined forever and will never be able to afford a car that thrills me as much as the V8 Datsun. Woe is me....

Edited by bjhines

Ive often thought the same thing. I've been looking for a nice davily driver for a while now and have come to the conclusion that no one makes the car I want. No car gives that kick inthe back like the Z except maybe the new caddy ctsv. Problem is that in a few years the plastic will start to fall apart is this caddy is like the rest of the gm stufF I own. Plus the mileage is no better than my truck.

Waiting on the car that will get 30 mpg, confortable to drive for hours at a time, handles well, 0-60in underr 5 seconds,and I must fit in it!

Maybe in a few years if gas prices stay around 4 bucks a gallon, hybrid technology will provide me the car I want.

I am seriously thinking about the Toyota 86/ Scion sports car. I figure it delivers with light weight and a VERY LOW CG. I could make it thrilling with TURBOS and still come up WAYYYY shy of 50,000$$$$. Now all I need to do is wait 2 more years for them to go out of warranty and pick up a used one for cheap and start modding.

Funny, I have been thinking the same thing. Rumors persist about a factory turbo option for that car. I have not driven one so I cant comment on the comfort aspect of the car but I do like the looks and size of the car.

The Scion FRS/Toy86/SubiBRZ is cheap, but it has the modern comforts, it is not so old that the plastic is disintegrating. My list of mods would include getting more grip and getting the suspension to handle more grip, upping the horsepower significantly, sweeten up the interior and electronics, and try to avoid the exterior mods.

I am beginning to think I could make it an interesting project that could require a great deal of engineering skill and creativity to deliver the experience I want. I can imagine MORE POWER, lighter weight, lower CG, more grip, and a better electronics package would be one hell of a challenge.

The E90 3-series has really lost its way... too large, too cushy, too heavy. Instead of the E90 M3, have you considered the "M" version of the 1-series?

Indeed there really is no modern car that combines decent comfort/quality/features, acceleration and gas mileage. Maybe the C5 Corvette.... I drove an early model (LS1) for a couple of weeks, while acting as caretaker for a friend. It is moderately faster than my lightly-modded E36 M3, and I emphasize "moderately"... not enough to justify a replacement. Low-end torque is better, but overall feel is less connected and more fussy. Plus those seats are absolutely horrible.

The Scion FRS/Toy86/SubiBRZ is cheap, but it has the modern comforts, it is not so old that the plastic is disintegrating. My list of mods would include getting more grip and getting the suspension to handle more grip, upping the horsepower significantly, sweeten up the interior and electronics, and try to avoid the exterior mods.

I am beginning to think I could make it an interesting project that could require a great deal of engineering skill and creativity to deliver the experience I want. I can imagine MORE POWER, lighter weight, lower CG, more grip, and a better electronics package would be one hell of a challenge.

The Scion looks like a great car; but, if you want a modern sports car with impeccable handling and a cheap price: here is your answer. :rolleyes: Bear in mind that these can be coupes with the drop of fiberglass top.

g

I had the same feeling with E46 M3. I had at that time for DD an Evo 8 modded with stock turbo. It was a +300whp AWD on-off machine that was amazing to drive (very quick steering, quite stock stiff suspension, very good grip, good torque) It was as powerful as the M3 but far more rewarding to drive. I was able to spin tires with 2nd gear, friends did not want to go in since they were hitting their head against seats at each acceleration :D. Mileage was poor however, less than 20mpg average.

But still the Z is much nicer to drive and I don't have a v8 in it (L6 with triples)

Edited by Lazeum