HybridZ

M2 Z31 Short shaft issue

SUNNY Z

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

14 13/16 and the longer one. I think it's something like 5/8" longer. I can't remember off the top of my head. I double checked all of them before they went out though.

sweet! yeah that's what i got i think i measured the short one @ 14 13/16 and the longer one at 15 15/16.

Are these the desired measurements?

Any idea of what those cracks are on the second picture though? :/ kinda threw me off that the other shaft didnt have them.

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
2.8 megs is way to large. Please resize before posting.

Your dimensions are way off. The longer one is about 5/8" longer than the 14 13/16. If it were 15 15/16, it would be 1 1/8" longer, and it is more like 5/8. I don't have the spec in front of me. Please don't confuse the issue any more.

The second one is your shaft that you sent back. They are not cracks, they're (shallow) dents in the spline. It also had some big dings in the shaft itself. I don't know what you did putting that thing on, but you apparently did it the hard way. tongue.gif I think you put the gear on backwards so that the tapered end of the spline on the gear faced the stop on the splines. Turn it around so that the square shoulder on the gear hits the stop shoulder on the spline and you'll be fine.

Edited by JMortensen

Your dimensions are way off. The longer one is about 5/8" longer than the 14 13/16. If it were 15 15/16, it would be 1 1/8" longer, and it is more like 5/8. I don't have the spec in front of me. Please don't confuse the issue any more.

The second one is your shaft that you sent back. They are not cracks, they're (shallow) dents in the spline. It also had some big dings in the shaft itself. I don't know what you did putting that thing on, but you apparently did it the hard way. tongue.gif I think you put the gear on backwards so that the tapered end of the spline on the gear faced the stop on the splines. Turn it around so that the square shoulder on the gear hits the stop shoulder on the spline and you'll be fine.

il re-measure the long onee for sure definitely sounds like i got my measurement wrong on that one.

putting them on for some reason was simple enough. yeah i did that i reversed the gear so the (flat) surface bottoms out on the stop shoulder of the spline i figured it would have too much play otherwise. when taking them off however to re sent them to you. it was a pain in the ass taking that bastard off. used a 2x4 on the short one and it came off with two hits, but the longer one had to be forced out with a hammer directly so i got a few hits on the shaft on the way lol. the "snap ring" that goes in the groove on the shaft ended up broken into three pieces so seems like il have to replace that.

Just put the new shafts in last night. At full droop they just barely fit into place (which I'm pretty sure is a good thing!). No binding or oddities once it was back down on the ground. Thanks again for getting them fixed Jon!

As I was finishing up some random guy drove his Z into my driveway and started talking cars(this is like the 6th time someone has done this to me in the past 2 years). He was impressed with the M2 setup and I pointed him to your website.

Just put the new shafts in last night. At full droop they just barely fit into place (which I'm pretty sure is a good thing!).

Yep. That's what we were after. Now with the new shafts you have room to use camber bushings or aftermarket control arms without running out of length on the CV's.