HybridZ

Questions about front & rear brake upgrades for '73 240Z

The stock-brakes vs. big-brakes debate is interminable, but I want to interject with this twist: what does one do, if one is agnostic about brakes, but wishes to convert to 5-lug setup with minimal hassle? By "hassle" I mean new/repositioned calipers, proportioning valves and so forth. My application should be fine with stock brakes, pending proper component reconditioning. But I really crave the utility of 5-lugs for the greater wheel choices. Note that the 300ZX setup, which does have 5-lugs, is a fairly major brake upgrade too.

For the rear, Modern Motorsports offers an option to redrill the stock stub axles (and drums?), but anecdotal evidence does not favor this option. For the front rotors, I am not aware of people redrilling for 5-lugs.

Thoughts?

I think the 240SX came in a 5-lug version. Might be able to use something there. You might be able to get billet stubs with a 5 lug pattern by request. They are expensive but easy to replace.

I used the large piston front calipers on vented disks.

Rearview.jpg

I used the early 240SX rear calipers on the larger, pancake 240SX rear rotors. I would say that the rear brakes are doing plenty of work after the first session out, brand new rotors are nicely heat colored.

Reardiskpackge.jpg

I used the 1972 master cylinder, 1972 proportioning valve with Hawk Blue Z32 front pads and Hawk Black 240SX rear pads. I had to grind a little off the corners of the front pads due to interference with the caliper mounting ears. This set up worked well for me with stock horsepower.

I have since moved to a V8 car with AZC brakes with John Coffey's brake balance bar MC with no booster. That works very well and offers unprecedented bias adjustment in addition to unlimited pad choices.

IMAG0419.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

Edited by bjhines

• 3 weeks later...

i dont think the s12-8 caliper is small enough to make it proportional with 280zx rear caliper.

think about it. a 280zx rear caliper is made to be pr optional with a 280zx front caliper (WHICH IS A SINGLE PISTON CALIPER!! NOT 4 PISTON s12-8 CALIPER)

why don't you consider getting better rear brakes instead of getting smaller fronts?