HybridZ

thinking about megasquirt

taylor76zharris

Iv been doing a lot of reading about MS and have talked a little to the guys at DIYautotune.com. I was just wondering just how had it really is to install. Ive got an 78 280 with a l28et swap. Alos how many of the stock sensors from the motor can i use with megasquirt.

Thanks, Taylor.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Install is fairly easy; troubleshooting and tuning is where I have spent my time. You shouldn't use any of the stock sensors unless you feel like calibrating them -- it's much easier to buy the GM sensors and use them, the only one that fits in the stock location is the coolant sensor anyway, and the intake air temperature is not present in the stock L28ET.

You need to adapt a different throttle position sensor, tap the manifold for the air temperature, tap the thermostat housing for water temperature, wire the L28ET distributor, and make sure you have an O2 bung downstream of your exhaust downpipe.

Well wont the tps off like a 95 240sx work? One other thing.. when you say "wire the distributor" you mean wire it to the megasquirt ecu, right? I was also thinking of using the distributor with the CAS with the megasquirt. right now i have the 81 style with the trigger wheel and external CAS.

Well wont the tps off like a 95 240sx work? One other thing.. when you say "wire the distributor" you mean wire it to the megasquirt ecu, right? I was also thinking of using the distributor with the CAS with the megasquirt. right now i have the 81 style with the trigger wheel and external CAS.

Yes, I think the 240SX TPS units will work. I used one off a Hyundai.

I don't think there is any support in MS firmware for the '81 CAS. And I had trouble resolving the Z31 wheel in my '82 distributor, so I don't think the 280ZXT wheel will work well either because of the extremely narrow slots. The custom wheel from DIYAutotune is very good though.

I am on the same track. Reading and studying.

At some point you just dive in and keep fixing till it works. I think it will be self teaching at some point.

I have the software downloaded and playing with that, but again it is just masturbating until the real parts are there.

The easiest way is to use the 82-83 distributor with the diyautotune cas. The car is much easier to start up the first time with it as the ignition timing can be pretty far off and still start. I had ALOT of first start problems with my locked out dizzy but it runs well with that also. As for the sensors use the stock coolant sensor, get the gm open element air sensor from diyautotune.com and get a new tps from autozone for 25 dollars. It would be from an automatic 240sx. MS2 would be good enough for you to learn on. What I would have you do is email matt from diy and ask him what he would recommend for your setup and then google the s-word out of all the items he lists. This is definitely a read and study and learn type of project.

What I did for my 240sx tps was, I cut off the old mounting ears from the old l28 tps and drilled holes more holes in the ears, then I bolted the ears to the 240sx tps and then mounted that on the stock l28 throttle body. The sx tps is narrower at the mounting points.

this is what i ordered after talking to the guys at DIY. i thinks its a pretty basic setup but sould get me started.

MS2357-C $444 Assembled Megasquirt-II with V3.57 PCB

MOD_2357IGN1: Single Ignition Output through BIP373 coil driver $20

MSStim22-C $69 Assembled Stimulator

MSHarness $67 8' wiring harness

IATwPiggy $22.25 Intake Air Temperature Sensor

38NPT-Bung_A $9 Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)

TuneCable $5.50 6' DB9 tuning cable

USB-2920 $22.50 (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)

MTX-L digital gauge system $199

Anything else i might need?

Thanks, Taylor.

Mod to control eFan via MS? (Forget what DIY calls it).

GM coolant sensor

2nd Baro sensor is good too, but if I recall from my high school geography classes, Oklahoma is pretty flat so maybe not necessary.

Edited by Zmanco

Yes i went for the wide band o2 (MTX-L digital gauge system), not complety neede but i read it makes tunning much much eaiser. Your right, this place is pretty flat. Can i not use the stock coolant sensor?

I canat wait to get this started, this is a great forum.