HybridZ

thinking about megasquirt

taylor76zharris

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue isn't due to Megasquirt - rather it's due to a variety of issues associated with elevated underhood temps and heat soak. One is the position of the MAT sensor (although I've experimented with mounting it in a variety of locations and they all had drawbacks), another is that the ECU doesn't know the temperature of the fuel and hence it's density. When that changes significantly (e.g. hot start), you have to tune around it. MS provides simple ways to do this (e.g. Warmup enrichment).

Again, this is not a Megasquirt issue, nor a stock ECU issue. It's just part of the challenge (fun?) of installing fuel injection in our older cars that were never intended to have as much power and heat under the hood.

Daniel

Does anyone know how to wire in the 83 distributor to the megasquirt? Im not 100% on what wire goes where. Pen 24 and 26 go to the distributor, where? i dont know... I have the v3

0 megasquirt.

Stock injectors are low impedance, but to make sure check them with a multimeter. 3 or less is low and for high I i wanna say around 10-14 but anything above 6 for sure is high impedence. For the 82-83 dizzy follow this,

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

It doesnt mention that you need a resistor across some wires so heres a pic.

post-26371-059223600 1343932895_thumb.jpg

Just ignore the hei stuff in the pic and use direct coil control. What I Did for the resistor was just jumped it across the 12v for the dizzy itself and the G/B wire for the signal (pin 24 I think, doublecheck)

Good luck.

Pin 24 gets connected to the g/b wire on the dizzy, pin 26 is for throttle position sensor voltage reference. Just a friendly hint that most people dont know about, ground the dizzy to the engine, there is a spade connector on the dizzy.

Pin 24 gets connected to the g/b wire on the dizzy, pin 26 is for throttle position sensor voltage reference. Just a friendly hint that most people dont know about, ground the dizzy to the engine, there is a spade connector on the dizzy.

How funny I was going to ask what the spade was on the dizzy when I got a little further into the wiring on my L28ET swap.

I was just looking through this thread for a future ms upgrade.

Sounds like your making good progress keep it up!

I WAS making goos progress. However, yesterday when i attempted the first start up... I have no spark. Ive checked every connection and its all the way it should be from what i can tell. Im getting plenty of fuel and all the engine constants seem to be where they should be. Any idea on what i could check? The one thing im not very sure on is the distributor wiring. I might have got it mixed up. Electricity isnt my strong area

Start by reviewing the log from cranking. Look to see that MS is in the crank mode and that you can see RPM (should be in the 250 rpm range). If you don't see that, then there's a problem with the distributor wiring. If you do see the engine cranking, then the problem is between MS and the coil.

I'm having problems with my coil/hei wiring for my 83 turbo ms1 2.2 setup. I don't seem to get a pulse when cranking the car if I put a test light to the fidle connection. I have Fidle set as spark output in megatune. Any thoughts guys? The negative side of the coil does pulse when cranking.

This site is great. Anyway i have my "number of coils" setting set to single coil. Im assuming that is the same as Coil Charging Scheme? Also spark output Is set at going high (inverted) The car doesnt want to fire anymore. One thing i noticed for the brief period She was sparking, my AFR gauge was reading around 8.5 up to 13.5. But now that i have no spark again it wont change from 22.4, wich is wayy rich.