HybridZ

vh45 swap anybody?

Blitz_86

Hey anyone In southern cali actually finish this swap?I was gonna swap a vq35de but plans had to change,Money issues :( so looking for a cheaper swap.So anyone in southern cali actually do it id love to see it talk mostly just check it out :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you can't afford a vq swap, you probably won't be able to get the vh in there either. Unless of course you keep the automatic behind it. See the vh is a more plentiful JY find, and can be had cheaply. But you have the added costs of trans adaptation, and unless you are a fabricator; mounts, rad, intake mani, headers, trans mount, etc. Then you have the unexpeted things that can happen with JY motors, like if you need injectors you have to buy 8, the same goes with rings bearings and so on. Not trying to beat you up here dude, as I wouldn't be able to afford either... thats why my L28 has a t3/t4.

• 7 months later...

mine has been about free... or may make me money ;)

I bought a Q45 for $400, and sold it to the junk yard for $300, minus the engine and rear diff. I still have the BBS wheels and headlamps that I plan on selling. the adapter plate I had a friend make for $200, but I sold all my old straight 6 parts for about that much. I've recently bought the aluminum for the flywheel spacer, and all the steel for the engine mounts for $30. If I sell the wheels and headlamps, I'm laughing. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to do a vk45 swap on my my 280z. If all goes to plan, I will be making the car AWD. Using a combination of r32 and z32 parts. I have done exstensive work suspension wise to make the car handle the power. Basically made a complete rear subframe and a arms using 300zx knuckles, diff, and coilovers. For the front I am using GTR knuckles and spindles. I have the fabrication part of the rear done, but hopefully finishing up fab work for the front in the next week or two. Once the fab work is done Ill make a thread though. What part of SOCAL do you live in? Im in north orange county.

• 8 months later...

I am going to do a vk45 swap on my my 280z. If all goes to plan, I will be making the car AWD. Using a combination of r32 and z32 parts. I have done exstensive work suspension wise to make the car handle the power. Basically made a complete rear subframe and a arms using 300zx knuckles, diff, and coilovers. For the front I am using GTR knuckles and spindles. I have the fabrication part of the rear done, but hopefully finishing up fab work for the front in the next week or two. Once the fab work is done Ill make a thread though. What part of SOCAL do you live in? Im in north orange county.

I find this to be one fascinating topic.  How far have you progressed in fabricating an AWD car using the 300ZX components coupled with a vk45 swap.

Pdfflyer

• 4 months later...

ok so ive done the vh45de swap and it ended up costing me about the same as an ls swap.  5-5500$.   its cheap getting ahold of the parts in the first place... but fabbing everything is where it ads up..  I love my swap though id rather it than a ls swap...  there are so many areas that need attention or modifiying for the vh swap..  if your a fabricator..  a good one.. you can save a few grand..  I paid my fantastic fabricator friend cheap hourly wage..  took him over 130 hours and me 100 hours.  and 10 weeks..  that's hammering it out pretty fast..  you cant do this in a weekend like an ls swap. 

the typical fab stuff like alternator brackets and throttle linkage are easy.

the harder stuff is the suspended motor mounts that go from the cross member to the engine and then to the tension rod area..

the long tube headers that are in 2 pieces each side and go in between the motor mount.. also the starter on the 300zx trans is in the worst spot ever. so the headers are super low underneath the starter.

and the steering shaft is brutally close to touching the headers in two spots. the block in one spot. and the oil cooler lines in another.. 

so bottom line there are some easy fab stuff.

but waaay more hard fab stuff.   no way around 180 hours work min.    we both know what were doing and had a good game plan. 

so all these guys kicking around the idea better understand its a big job.   but maaaan this engine sounds amazing with long tubes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...