HybridZ

A/C rebuild

So I did a brief search in a few categories on hybridz and didn't exactly find what I was looking for. I had the complete A/C system out of my 75 for engine bay paint and have put everything back in. Now the summer heat in Cali is prompting me to put the A/C on the top of the priority list of things to finish. Here is where it's at. The comp and condenser(radiator thing) had been removed by the PO a few years back. I have gone through it and installed everything accordingly. Everything "looks" fine but I am new to A/C so... My questions are as follows...

Does any parts need to be replaced from sitting with normal air passing through them? ie Evaporator, condenser, compressor?

I have heard and read somewhere that I need a o-ring kit and switch them out for the new refrigerant. What is the truth on that?

The compressor turns over freely(I have 2 of them). Can I assume it is relatively good or what should I be looking for?

I can read up on the recharging procedures later but need to know what/how to get the system ready for refrigerant.

Any info would help or at least send me a direction and I can go from there. Thanks

If the system has been opened, from that I've read, you'll need to have it vaccuumed out to get all the air out. Old parts are fine, so long as you've cleaned them out. The condensor should be replaced, since normally there's oil in there that could be gummed up if it's been sitting open. You may be able to just make sue it's cleaned out. If you're changing Refridgerant, then you really should talk to an AC shop. Some R types are corrosive and need more than O rings. but mostly you need to be sure the lubricant is compatible with your pump and with what type the original system used. if it's not, then the system might work for a while but likely your pump will get killed. so my best advice is to talk to an AC shop.

Does any parts need to be replaced from sitting with normal air passing through them? ie Evaporator, condenser, compressor?

I have heard and read somewhere that I need a o-ring kit and switch them out for the new refrigerant. What is the truth on that?

You should replace the Receiver/Dryer (Accumulator - little bottle on the passenger side fender well). It's the main system "filter".

Before you reinstalled the condenser and engine bay piping you probably should have run some A/C system cleaner through that stuff as a precaution.

The early Z's don't use many o-rings. The tubing connections should be flare fittings and the o-rings in the system will be inside the compressor and inside the expansion valve - you don't want to mess with those as a general rule. It's helpful to reassemble flare connections by using a little A/C oil on each side of the flare itself. The oil you use should be the oil that's compatible with the type of refrigerant you'll be using. Sounds like you're converting to R134a? If so, you should have dumped as much of the mineral oil out of the compressor as you could, and replaced what came out with Ester Oil or PAG.