HybridZ

l28et swap running on three cylinders?

I have a 78 280z with a 82 l28et, first the car ran great, took it down to the store and on the way back started to run funny and backfiring. the front three cylinders you can pull either the plug wire or the injector plug and does not effect the idle. checked the injector plugs at the injector and at the plug at the ecu and they have voltage, and when the cars running you can pull the plug wires and see arc coming off the plug wires, just at a point where i dont have a clue what it can be. bad plug wire, injector, ecu? any advice would be nice

I believe the injectors are powered by 2 circuits - 1 for the front three, and another for the back three. That's the only aspect of the FI L28 that I'm aware of that's segmented with the front three cylinders all having a common fail point.

I'd start by checking the wiring for the injector dropping resistors to see if one of them has a poor connection. Just because you measure 12V one side of the injectors doesn't mean that the the circuit is able to conduct enough current for the them to fire properly. Make sure it's clean and has a good mechanical connection.

If you place the tip of a long srewdriver against an injector, while the engine is running and your ear on the handle. You should hear a clicking noise from the injectors. No Clicking and they are not working, try that.

And I agree, check the connections at the dropping resistors and the dropping resistors themselves.

^^^^ I motion.... If the car has been running fine and from a Simple trip to the store the ecu became bad that's no bueno. I don't think that happens regularly. Clean pins with non aggressive sandpaper and or copper brush to clean surface. And make sure your ecu is plugged in appropriately. Might've been bad connection or intermittent circuit.

Or maybe you just never swapped ECU's to the appropriate turbo one lol