HybridZ

351w vs. 393

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by sopdadope:

GeneW,

The Q45 throttle looks to have the same bolt pattern as a BBK 85mm except the bores might be slightly bigger. In any case, tapping new threads would be a quick fix. IMO I'd be guilty if I spent $300 for a TB when there are OEM TB's that get the same job done.

I definitely agree with that! Keep us updated on how that works out. If it works, then I will probably do the same when I build up my 351W that I've got laying in the garage. I can't see spending a fortune for an aftermarket unit when a similar (if not better) unit can be found easily for less money.

Gene

I also have another concern. It's a pretty big one. Down the road, say in a year or so, I'd like to S/C the car. Not much boost, a Vortech@5PSI. Is it dangerous to run forced induction on a stroker motor with high compression?

BTW, this a '74 block with 7.5" deck height.

It can be very dangerous to run forced induction on a very high compression engine. If you plan to stroke a 351 and still 'charge it, you need to be very careful of the parts you choose when building the engine. Keep compression ratios down as much as possible. We're talking dished pistons, heads with large combustion chambers, etc. You also want to use a very good forged piston. Anything less probably will not hold up to the kind of pressures you will end up with.

Also, with the power that you would end up with, you want to really pay close attention to the bottom end. Make sure everything is very straight and true, use bearings designed for hi power engines, and even install a main girdle to keep things from moving around.

Gene

Guest Anonymous

genew,

I plan on building up the bottom-end with all forged components. I'm trying to see if Venolia pistons can custom-fab a set of forged pistons for me to set the compression ratio in around 9.5 or maybe lower. I figured, if I'm springing for a forged stroker crank, why not go forged all the way? I've scratched the turbo idea and I'm looking at ways to add an OEM ford lighting m112 eaton blower. Maybe just buy the lower intake manifold from Trick Flow and CNC machine and weld an upper to mount the eaton? It looks pretty straight-forward.

Going with the blower saves money on turbo manifold and space.

genew,

I plan on building up the bottom-end with all forged components. I'm trying to see if Venolia pistons can custom-fab a set of forged pistons for me to set the compression ratio in around 9.5 or maybe lower. I figured, if I'm springing for a forged stroker crank, why not go forged all the way? I've scratched the turbo idea and I'm looking at ways to add an OEM ford lighting m112 eaton blower. Maybe just buy the lower intake manifold from Trick Flow and CNC machine and weld an upper to mount the eaton? It looks pretty straight-forward.

Going with the blower saves money on turbo manifold and space.

If you could get pistons to keep your compression down, that would be excellent. As for your intake idea, you might just be on to something. I think you can get just the lower intake from Trickflow for a 351. If not, I know for sure that ford motorsport sells lower cobra and gt40 intakes.

Who knows, if you get to doing all that machining, it might be easier to just use a 4bbl carb intake and mount your injectors to that. You can get throttle body plates specifically for this purpose(in place of a carborator), and surely mounting the 'charger to that would be very easy.

Gene

• 5 years later...