HybridZ

lightweight V8 info requested

BRSanko

Hello I would like to build a V8z and have been watching ebay for both cars and engines. I would like about 300Hp or so, and a one winter project would be ideal. The big thing for me is that handling is really more important to me than power so I don't want a big ship anchor in the engine bay. I've been looking at the options out there and there isn't much information about how much engines weigh and which ones are the lightest. Any info would be great.

I think your best bet for ease of build, ease of budget, and potential project success would be an LSx chevy setup. The rovers are exceptionally difficult to find parts for here in the states, and it is more complex with a turbo. Hell I'm cooking all kinds of stuff with my 383stroker chevy. Can't imagine the heat you'd create with turbos on top of that.

Mike

• 1 month later...

This thread is so shed worthy, but I'll bite...

DON'T BE AS CONCERNED ABOUT WEIGHT TOTAL AS YOU ARE WEIGHT PLACEMENT.

Yes, that was all caps. It was meant to be yelled. :-P

I'm not saying saving weight isn't important, but the V8 versus L6 handling topic has been beaten to death. Even a 600# motor isn't going to KILL your handling. Will it change the handling characteristics? Sure, but what engine swap won't?

Keep in mind that ideally you want your weight as centered and as low as possible. A V8 already is two cylinders shorter than a L6 so you get an upside there. Plus since it's a V configuration the bulk of the block sits lower than an inline motor as well. If you have a pushrod motor the cylinder heads are extremely compact compared to an OHC engine.

So really, pound for pound, a V8 should kill an inline 6 when it comes to weight placement. The issue that people have is that most V8's aren't exactly "light" compared to the stock L motor which is a featherweight in the inline 6 realm, especially for having an iron block.

All that said, there's no reason you couldn't get ANY pushrod V8 (even big block) to handle as well as the stock engine configuration.

Given your criteria, I'd say an aluminum block LSX is the way to go. Shouldn't be much over 400 pounds. That'll push 300hp in it's sleep, on a bad day, with the flu. Good strong sample plus the right cam should put 400 to the wheels in short order. The only downside is that it's a spendy swap. On the other hand, building a SBC or SBF with aluminum heads and supporting parts to make 400hp isn't exactly cheap either.

If budget is extremely important, the SBF might be worth considering too. Stock iron heads can easily make 300hp, and the distributor placement makes it easier to get it slung low and nearly touching the firewall, while SBC swaps end up battling the hood latch with the dizzy. It's only the difference of a few inches, but a few inches when placing 500# can make quite a difference.