HybridZ

280ZX Turbo Shaved Intake Manifold Completed

Neveragain55

This is my intake manifold write up gang. I want to stress that this is nowhere near as detailed as Brapp’s manifold write-up. This is merely meant to show a pictorial progression of how a stock manifold was transformed into a smooth butterfly minus all the emissions crap.

This is what I started with when I tore the engine down:

IntakeA.jpg

These next two pictures are what she looked like after vapor blast:

IntakeD.jpg

IntakeC.jpg

These next two pictures were taken after the EGR was hacked off. 99.9% of all the hacking, cutting, sanding, and blending on this manifold was performed with a dremel. I used a small, thin aluminum sheets (from Home Depot) to plug the hole left by hacking off the EGR. I cut out just what I needed from the sheet and then folded up all four of the corners and stuck it into the square hole you see. Later you’ll see where I covered all these orifices with a product called High Temp Lab Metal. This area was also filled in with that same product, and it sealed it beautifully.

IntakeF.jpg

IntakeE.jpg

These are the thin sheets of aluminum I used.

FinishedIntake26.jpg

This picture was taken after the AAC was hacked off and all the surrounding area was sanded down smooth.

ShavedIntake3A.jpg

More items hacked off:

IntakeH.jpg

This picture was taken after steel bolts were screwed into vacuum holes, hacked off, and ground to just below the surface. If you look closely, you can see the outline of the bolts. That dremel you see laying in front of the manifold was the primary tool used to do almost all of the work.

IntakeI.jpg

Same picture, different view minus some of the plugs:

IntakeJ.jpg

Here you can start to see the end vision taking shape. The only thing left that had to be hacked off at this point was the large threaded hole where the ERV resided.

IntakeK.jpg

A close up view of the bolts ground down. I know it looks gnarly, but it wasn’t as uneven and rough as it looks in this picture. I gave up on filling in the holes with brass plugs after looking all over the world (seriously). I wound up going to ACE Hardware Store and found all the (steel) plugs I needed.

IntakeM.jpg

These next few pictures show the ERV pre & post being cut because I couldn’t find a plug (of any material) to plug the threaded hole it came out of. I had the threaded end (after it was cut) welded on the bottom. I screwed it back into the hole it came out of, and cut off the raised surface area flush with the surface.

IntakeN.jpg

IntakeO.jpg

Here you can see the weld material on the bottom of the threaded section of the ERV.

IntakeP.jpg

Here is another view of the weld material from the other side. My welder did a really good job with this, but he was honest with me about his (less than stellar) aluminum welding capabilities, and that’s why I opted to go with the High Temp. Lab Metal to cover everything else.

IntakeQ.jpg

This picture was taken just before I cut everything down flush.

IntakeR.jpg

These pictures were taken after the plug was cut down. If you look closely, you can see a small opening in the center of what’s left of my “make-shift†plug. It sealed very well and I was really happy with the way it came out.

FinishedIntake25.jpg

FinishedIntake24.jpg

These next few pictures are of the intake manifold covered in High Temp. Lab Metal http://www.alvinproducts.com/products/products.asp?id=2

I went this route because although I found a welder to weld the ERV, I couldn’t find a competent (aluminum) welder. After researching this product I was more than confident it would do the job of sealing & covering all of the orifices opened up by all the hacking. Before some of you crucify me for using this stuff or tell me what you would have done differently (which is fine) this worked, and I’m very happy with the way it came out.

IntakeT.jpg

IntakeS.jpg

IntakeU.jpg

These are pictures of the intake after the Lab Metal was baked and then sanded down. You can see it did a very good job of covering everything, and if you’ve never used this stuff before, believe me it has the feel & strength of steel (just as advertised). The same thin sheets of aluminum that I used to make a plug for the EGR – I used as backing plates inside the intake. I cut small pieces of aluminum a bit larger than the holes that were left from all the cutting – I stuck them inside the intake and used a sponge to act as reinforcement so they would stay close to the inner walls. Once they were in place I applied the Lab Metal. The aluminum pieces prevented the Lab Metal from just pouring into the intake.

IntakeW.jpg

IntakeV.jpg

This is where I’ll take the most heat – yes – this is industrial strength JB Weld. I know, I know, I know…………..but I’ve used this stuff for years and it’s never let me down. The intake isn’t going to see heat or pressure that surpasses what the industrial JB Weld can withstand, and it fills in all the low spots and divots beautifully once it’s sanded down.

IntakeZ.jpg

IntakeY.jpg

IntakeX.jpg

Here are pictures of the intake manifold after the JB Weld was sanded down and POR 20 was applied and baked on.

IntakeZA.jpg

IntakeZC.jpg

IntakeZD.jpg

IntakeZE.jpg

ItakeZF.jpg

This is the finished product minus the Pallnet fuel rail and injectors which are coming in the very near future. As you can see, the final layer of paint was 350º Wrinkle Finish Plus. Yes…… I straight ripped of Billseph’s idea of stenciling out a “Z†on the manifold, painting over it, and then peeling off the tape after final paint. (courtesy of my wife actually, and she did a really good job) Hope you all enjoyed the journey and I hope it gives you ideas.

FinishedIntake3.jpg

FinishedIntake4.jpg

FinishedIntake6.jpg

FinishedIntake7.jpg

FinishedIntake11.jpg

Edited by Neveragain55

The intake manifold looks amazing, what type of wrinkle paint did you use on the manifold if you don't mind me asking. I plan on wrinkle painting my intake manifold too, but I'm worried that the paint isn't going to hold up to the amount of heat.

Looks great man, but its giving me Deja Vu and bad memories about mine

This started identically to yours, but i went MUCH more extreme, i took out the webbing and even ncut the entire EGR tube out.

photo16.jpg

i WISH id thought of an epoxy to get the surface smooth, the exterior of mine was wavy as hell and it didnt look anywhere near as good as yours, or close to what i wanted...

Billseph:

Your intake was the inspiration for mine so “thank youâ€, and thanks for the compliments………

Based on my past experience with the materials I used I’m super confident she’ll hold up just fine. I imagine the heat from the turbo will cause some slight fading and or peeling of the wrinkle finish here & there along the underside, but I’m not expecting any major failures. (time will tell)

Fuzzydicerule:

Your intake looks great from what I can see and you can always smooth her out in the future if you want, maybe during your next overhaul or major tune up.

HowlerMonkey:

Actually the manifold came off of an engine I bought off of EvilZ for my 77 280Z that I’m rebuilding. The donor engine is a 1982 L28ET with very low miles but it needed to be rebuilt because it sat forever and seized up. I’m actually ok with that because it gave me the opportunity to start with a fresh platform and make it mine. (I have no idea why there was red paint on it)

Thanks for all the compliments gang……..