HybridZ

280ZX Stereo/Sound System

paulthao3

I bought my 280zx and all the speakers were gone.. this is what it looked like when I got it.. can someone post pics of what your guys stereo system looks like??? If it's original or not i just want to see where I should start.. Thanks!!!

post-30088-027047400 1343400833_thumb.jpg

I can post pictures of mine in just a little bit. If optimal sound is what you're going for, I wouldn't actually recommend mounting the speakers behind the seat. All you're doing is putting all of that sound right into the back of your seat. Your seat will absorb a lot of the higher sound frequencies. Although I haven't done it myself, I would buy the speaker kit that mounts the speakers at the back of the hatch. That way, the sound has a clearer and more open path to travel. This should preserve the sound frequencies a little better and allow you to hear it with a little more clarity (as the speakers would also be mounted a little higher than the tucked away, behind the seat position). That's just my two cents.

Now With Pics:

These are 6" Rounds.

IMG_20120727_194223.jpg

IMG_20120727_194138.jpg

Edited by AkiraZX

This is what I did. And if I had kept my interior I would not do it this way (obviously)

I tore out that metal frame and just used some custom speaker boxes to mount the speakers somewhat level, I originally wanted them angled up like stock, but figured I could carry more with it level.

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0002-1.jpg

I can hear fine for city driving, but when I hit the freeway I get a bad drone from my exhaust (headers and 2.5" all the way to a muffler) and have to crank it up. Either way I don't have AC so if it's hot I also have to put my windows down. I'm basically saying that I have a crapton of other sounds anyway and perfect sound was never really an option for me, which is fine.

I had to drive cross country at one point listening to my phone music. After that I decided that something is better than nothing.

Edited by BluDestiny

I can post pictures of mine in just a little bit. If optimal sound is what you're going for, I wouldn't actually recommend mounting the speakers behind the seat. All you're doing is putting all of that sound right into the back of your seat. Your seat will absorb a lot of the higher sound frequencies. Although I haven't done it myself, I would buy the speaker kit that mounts the speakers at the back of the hatch. That way, the sound has a clearer and more open path to travel. This should preserve the sound frequencies a little better and allow you to hear it with a little more clarity (as the speakers would also be mounted a little higher than the tucked away, behind the seat position). That's just my two cents.

Now With Pics:

These are 6" Rounds.

IMG_20120727_194223.jpg

IMG_20120727_194138.jpg

are you running a sub??? or any other speakers in the car?? or are u only running off of these two speakers? Thanks for the pics!

This is what I did. And if I had kept my interior I would not do it this way (obviously)

I tore out that metal frame and just used some custom speaker boxes to mount the speakers somewhat level, I originally wanted them angled up like stock, but figured I could carry more with it level.

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0002-1.jpg

I can hear fine for city driving, but when I hit the freeway I get a bad drone from my exhaust (headers and 2.5" all the way to a muffler) and have to crank it up. Either way I don't have AC so if it's hot I also have to put my windows down. I'm basically saying that I have a crapton of other sounds anyway and perfect sound was never really an option for me, which is fine.

I had to drive cross country at one point listening to my phone music. After that I decided that something is better than nothing.

THanks! My brother was thinking about doing something like this!

are you running a sub??? or any other speakers in the car?? or are u only running off of these two speakers? Thanks for the pics!

I am running a sub and also, the front two stock speakers are still connected.

This pic is a little blurry but you get the idea. Eventually, I am going to get rid of this hulking mass of wasted hatch space and get a low profile sub.

IMG_20120724_202235.jpg

• 2 months later...

2dv1u6t.jpg

Here is a shot of how I mounted my tweeters. The stock speaker location is weird so I used a component to try and get better imaging. As it sits the high tones float right to your ears, even with luggage or a load in the back. This particular placement requires some EQ work to pull the excess highs out of the mix and it sounds phenomenal. The tweeters have a clear path to your ears but the rest of the speaker is shooting into your kidneys. Sorry, my car is dirty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best budget install is take the rear bins out and remove the whole sheet metal bracket that the speakers mount into. Use a foam tape where the sheet metal mounts to isolate any vibrations. Put foam tape around the lip of the storage bins for vibration as well. Once you have everything reinstalled you can use expanding foam to "seal the box". A 6 1/2" speaker will mount in the stock holes without trimming. You might need drill new mounting holes for the screws but that's about it. The speakers actually sound remarkably well behind the seats. I agree this isn't the optimal setup but it's much improved over stock!

I got this off my parts car I thought it was kind of neat, I was thinking of getting another one made like this to put some square 6x9 subwoofers I saw that were pretty good. Already have replaced the stock speakers with some pioneers they sound better but just need a new stereo mines kinda outdated.

3EF19423-D30B-4C2A-9152-0385B09BEE32-6851-00000E0FC9D38861.jpg

Edited by 280zx@541

I simply removed the boxes, covered the original speaker holes, sealed around the openings at the edges, and bolted rectangular plywood to the top where I mounted 6x9s.

I did not cut the stock carpet but simply left it folded over to expose the speakers.

When I was in some sketchy places in orlando, I simply flipped the carpet back over the speakers.

Looked ok but you have to fight the resonant frequency of the enclosure which is an annoying mid bass frequency.

Run off a 100 buck stereo without aux. amp, it was loud enough for me to plug my guitar processor into the faceplate and enjoy endless feedback......if that's what I wanted.

Those same speakers sound amazing in a m30 with a proper trunk.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 1/2" JL Audio's in the dash running off the head unit. (Alpine) and 5 1/4" JL Audio component speakers in the doors with the tweeters being mounted on the upper windshield. 5 1/4" (which is the factory sized speaker behind the seats) and 2 8" inch JL Audio W6's.

My friend owns his own custom audio install shop and helped with the entire build. Hazletonsound.com I'd take pic,but my ZX lis still in pieces since the turbo build won't start. :(

My stereo is very loud but ULTRA clear! Which was the goal. Hence why I spent the pretty penny on JL Audio components. My 2 8's POUND! Actually,they were so loud and clear,I put 2 more in my EXT Trailblazer and my friends STILL DON'T BELIEVE I only have 2 8's!

I must say,if you like CLEAR music,go JL Audio! Def def def won't be disappointed!!! I've spent,owned and heard just about everything out there and nothing (in its price range) comes close to JL.

Edited by Hi Def

Here's mine.  The 6x9s are now Infinity Reference 2 way and powered by a RF 125Wx2 RMS amp.  The 2 middles are JBL components powered by the Pioneer HU, and the sub is an RE SE12 powered by a Kicker 750.1 amp.  I don't have storage space, but it does sound so good!

IMG_20120911_184537.jpg

I love JL Audio subs - they've been making an excellent product for a long time with excellent clarity.  Lots of other subs can pound it but if you're into anything other than techno.... ;)

The stock location for the front speakers is absolutely horrid with the left speaker in the center of the dash.  Build some door panel boxes if you want decent imaging up front. Unfortunately there isn't room to inset them into the door so you'll need to fabricate something that fits and molds into the door itself.

• 4 weeks later...

The fronts ar 4", the rears are 6.5" and if you have a 2+2 I believe they are 5.25"

I used DB speakers front and back with an Alpine unit.  The bass is great IMO....not the boom choka boom stuff, but good sounding bass.  The big holes above your speaker is where a lid unt attached and was used for storage. Find yurself a pullapart junk yard (pullapart.com).  Usually you can find the pieces you need.