HybridZ

73 240 fuel system upgrade for l28ET

Silverone858

So I'm starting the 240 L28ET project and while I work on wiring I thought I would start asking about the fuel system. I got this car from a friend who never got it running yet bought some good gear to put it together.

Here's a pic of all the stuff I have-

1zyj6ki.jpg

So I know I need bigger fuel lines my thought was to use the 3/8" 304 stainless .28 wall that jegs carries then adapt to stainless hose at both ends. I've been researching this but I have a few questions,

the tank I got with the car is a plastic fuel cell which I'm not sure I like but I'm going to use it for now then get a aluminum or steel with bladder but this plastic sumped tank has 2 fittings at the sump can I use 1 for feed and 1 for return?

The pump is a aeromotive a750. I read about this fuel pump and the instructions say it needs a 100 micron filter between the tank and pump is there another filter I need? I could swear I saw something about another filter on the return on another thread but can't find it now.

30k7k1c.jpg

this is the holley 12-707 has anyone used this fuel pressure regulator? It has 2 inlets and 2 outlets and another opening on the bottom I'm guessing I will block off any unused ports. *edit-apparently this FPR is only good for 4 1/2-7 psi.

So now I'm looking at a aeromotive 13109 FPR the instructions say it has 1 inlet and 1 outlet and 1 return, does that mean I have to plumb a second return?

2m848io.jpg

I also have a question about the vapor tank, for now I won't be hooking up the factory fuel filler because I'm not keeping this tank forever. Do I hook up one tube of the vapor tank to the fuel cell and plug the rest? I'm not going to use any smog equipment if that helps.

6xrm03.jpg

Also if you guys have any tips for running the fuel lines I could certainly use them, the engine and tranny are in the car and I'm sure that will make it fun!

I plan on using a flare tool that I have but is there a good bender you could recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help I have alot of work to do before I can even try to crank this Z over and I need to knock out some of the big stuff cuz I'm getting itchy to drive it!

Edited by Silverone858

So here's what I'm thinking about going with -

Take one outlet from the fuel cell to a 100 micron aeromotive filter to the pump out of the pump to the 3/8" line to a Palnet fuel rail into the aeromotive FPR then back to the tank through another 3/8" line.

Should I take the return to the top of the tank or to the 2nd fitting on the sump?

So I've been doing alot of searching and reading and am now a little confused it seems people don't like the aeromotive pumps saying that they are unreliable and alot of them use walbro or bosch pumps.

Please chime in with your opinion.

I could sell the aeromotive and put the money to good use elsewhere.

If that aeromotive pump isn't very reliable what about their bypass fuel pressure regulators?

I hope someone chimes in, I'm not in a big hurry but I have a budget that will allow me to only buy once and I want to be sure that what I get will work for semi-daily driving and some track.

TIA

Aeromotive FPRs leak down very quickly once the fuel pump turns off, due to the design of the valve. It's a pain for a daily driver, you have to wait for the pressure to build up before the engine will start, after every shutoff. I had one at one time (it was cheap and I needed an FPR) but switched back to a good stock FPR.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have the new 3/8" line and FPR on its way and I have been searching for answers to some of the questions I had.

Sump plumbing - so obviously one goes to the pump. I wanted to know if I can use the other for the return, I searched here on hybrid and can't get the right wording or something but when I googled it I found a site for Z28 camaros and that setup was what alot of people do?

I still wonder if this is good for our Z's, and the best idea.

Also the car hasn't ran since the rebuild so I'm going to take things a little slower and keep the og fuel rail but since I had the aeromotive 750 pump I went ahead and got the aeromotive 13109 FPR.

So I'm gonna plumb new 3/8" line to the og rail can I replace the og FPR with some hose just to get her running? Then return through the aeromotive FPR back to the sump?

I need to put the fuel system to bed so I can try to crank her over, I put off buying a pallnet fuel rail for now and other things so I would be sure to have cash on hand in case other components are no good (ecu, dissy, God only knows)

Please someone chime in on this setup, and if I forgot anything or with any tips

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

So I have the new 3/8" line and FPR on its way and I have been searching for answers to some of the questions I had.

Sump plumbing - so obviously one goes to the pump. I wanted to know if I can use the other for the return, I searched here on hybrid and can't get the right wording or something but when I googled it I found a site for Z28 camaros and that setup was what alot of people do?

I still wonder if this is good for our Z's, and the best idea.

Also the car hasn't ran since the rebuild so I'm going to take things a little slower and keep the og fuel rail but since I had the aeromotive 750 pump I went ahead and got the aeromotive 13109 FPR.

So I'm gonna plumb new 3/8" line to the og rail can I replace the og FPR with some hose just to get her running? Then return through the aeromotive FPR back to the sump?

I need to put the fuel system to bed so I can try to crank her over, I put off buying a pallnet fuel rail for now and other things so I would be sure to have cash on hand in case other components are no good (ecu, dissy, God only knows)

Please someone chime in on this setup, and if I forgot anything or with any tips

thanks in advance

If you dont mind me asking, what are the sizes of that tank? and how well does it fit under the car? i would like to get on e of theses tanks but not have it sitting completely in the hatch of the car. I would love to help but im going blind with this as well :(

Well I actually decided to go to a 76 tank since I hate the idea of filling inside the car or other options. So I'm actually selling that cell as for the rest of the setup I'm running the new lines now 3/8 steel ones from summit and we'll see how that works out getting the tank cleaned and treated and whatever else comes up on the way lol.