HybridZ

Benz running LED lights mod for 240z

EvilC

So the other day I was toying with the idea of getting a set of Benz LED lights that are in the front bumper to see if they are the same shape as our 240z turn signals. Turns out they are very close. So I took a set of old harnesses I had sitting around and went to work. The Datsun harness has two green wires and one black. One of the green wires serves as the "running" light and the other is your "turn" signal light. The black of course is your ground wire. So just to test what I had, I spliced the two green wires together and ran the black wire to correct side of the plug for the LED unit. As I thought, the lights come on when I turn on my lights but the turn signal and hazard signal does nothing. This was expected because the bulb in the turn signal unit is a dual filament. You can see this if you take the light out, you will find two silver dots on the bottom of the light. So second test, I turned off the lights and used the hazard signal after. The hazards worked fine but back feed the lighting system and would light up the dash board. Again expected and a simple diod fixed that. If that hazards are on and then I turn the headlights on, the hazard goes "away".

So where am I know? I am trying to figure out if there is a way I can have the turn/hazard signal interrupt the headlight circuit once I have the headlights on. I plan on getting this to work and replacing the Datsun units with these. They will be made to work in my front air dam.

DSCN0228-XL.jpg

I'm working a similar mod, I bought the lights for $30. There's 3 wires.

- ground

- white light

- turn light

When the turn light gets power it automatically cuts off the white. I haven't bothered to wire it up because I've been focused on my interior, but I plan to mount them where the existing turn signals are. I have LED runners in the headlights to match.

I'm working a similar mod, I bought the lights for $30. There's 3 wires. - ground- white light- turn lightWhen the turn light gets power it automatically cuts off the white. I haven't bothered to wire it up because I've been focused on my interior, but I plan to mount them where the existing turn signals are. I have LED runners in the headlights to match.

Def want to see how yours come out. Since you have a three wire LED it is an easier mod to get it to work with our Datsun setup.

Interested in seeing how this works. I've been trying to find a suitable fog/blinker or just fog light to fit where the 240Z's blinker goes...

Hope to have it done within the month here.

Without it being in the front air damn it looks like some Star Trek stuff, but I'm sure you'll make it look good! Keep it up brother you're giving me hope!

Thanks, def doesn't look like it belongs on our cars.

Ok, I think I found something that will work. I am going to use a trailer converter. I am also going to remove the diod I installed. I will let you all know how I make out.

• 1 month later...

I am going to use the brightest LEDs I can buy for a good price and mount them to a mirror plastic plate that I will fit into my original tail light assembly. I plan on using 70 LEDs for the stop and running lamps with the running lamps only powering a few LEDs and the brake turning on all of them.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why wouldn't you use a resistor and diode combo?

Diode on the turn signal wire, and resistor (some value that reduces the light, but still allows it to be on), in the park light wire. 

Alternatively, you can use a simple relay to allow the lights to be on full, and then flash with the turn signal.

I started with this idea to turn my front marker lights into turn signals (Since my front turn signal marker lights are mounted low and in the "vents" of my MSA type 2 air dam), but then was able to go without using a relay, due to retaining the incandescent bulb and realizing the light bucket is isolated from the fender.

Off the top of my head:

85 to parking light

86 to turn signal circuit

87 to battery

87a open

30 to the light.

This works by using the ground that will be on the parking light circuit to turn the relay on while turn signal is activated. The 12V from the battery is then passed to the LED as the parking light signal is pulsed.

When you turn the parking lights on, the relay is also activated by sourcing the ground on turn signal wire, and feeds the 12V from the battery to the LED.

When the parking lights are on, and the turn signal turns on, the relay will turn off, causing the LED to flash, but when the turn signal is on, say in the rear, the front will be off at that point. The flash would be inverted, but as far as someone looking it, would be flashing normally.

Edited by Six_Shooter

For me I'm hoping it would not be too complicated to have two turn signals running in tandem (front stock position + in my case side bmw turn signal/running lights). I know next to nothing when it comes to the electronics aspect, but am more than eager to learn. Also wondering if 07' Porsche 997 led lights would fit the stock 240z space and curvature.