HybridZ

My kinda epic crash

suparman

So I was delivering newspapers and a pizza delivery guy in a Tacoma ran a stop sign at about 25 miles and hour and hit me while I was doing 50. Now my car is no more. I am hoping that some on here have experience dealing with insurances over z cars and can offer advice. His insurance policy and mine is with progressive not sure if that helps or hurts. I was unconscious for 7 hours my girlfriend was out off and on we spent 24 hours in the hospital and three days later still cant see straight I have to close my left eye to see anything right otherwise it is major double vision. Strangely enough no bruises on either of us but major concussions and her ankle is all jacked up it swelled up about twice normal size. My fear is I get disability from the V.A. for my ankle and my knee was just about to get approved and now the crash made them both worse so I don't know how that is going to play out. but here are pics

post-5470-028811200 1343623179_thumb.jpg

post-5470-054316700 1343623187_thumb.jpg

post-5470-004645100 1343623196_thumb.jpg

post-5470-072171700 1343623206_thumb.jpg

post-5470-070923900 1343623214_thumb.jpg

post-5470-023777500 1343623221_thumb.jpg

post-5470-094819600 1343623228_thumb.jpg

post-5470-097229400 1343623239_thumb.jpg

post-5470-032778800 1343623249_thumb.jpg

post-5470-077875500 1343623259_thumb.jpg

Yea we are both good, walked away with concussions mainly, couple of scratches and some joint damage neither of us bruised, kinda amazing really. Just worried about what the insurance will think the car is worth now, she honestly was really clean only rust was surface rust and ran well since less than 500 miles ago I put on a electronic dizzy, Accel super coil, dizzy drive shaft, oil pump,timing set, alternator, voltage reg,starter, battery,and cables.

Wow that sucks but I'm glad to hear that you and the gf are ok though.

I know it doesn't help with the loss of your Z that much but as long as you're ok you can build another Z.

I don't know all that much in terms of insurance but I would suggest at least getting a classic car appraiser or someone

who knows what a Z car is. In my experiences with Z cars they're often undervalued.

My insurance company was about to total my 240Z after a fender bender until I told them I was restoring the car. Without hesitation they agreed to repair the damage. So words like "It is a classic" may make a difference.

Having to deal with crashes on a daily basis my best advise to you is to get an attorney. I know a lot of people just think they are ambulance chasers and make a living off your suffering but a good attorney will get you things that you never thought you were able to receive. Especially future aliments that might come from your current injuries. The value of the car is secondary to your health and well being.

And I am not an attorney nor insurance agent. I am the Trooper who comes out and takes care of you at the scene or the hospital.

Hope everything works out for you and your girlfriend.

Damn man, + however many on the attorney. Glad your injuries weren't more obviously extensive than they appear. But as others have said, you need to be thoroughly checked out by a doctor and retain an attorney on this one. There could be long term effects being masked right now by adrenaline and shock.

Sad for the car but the attorney can probably help you with that too. It can be replaced or repaired. Keep us posted.

Yea I have an appointment with an attorney for tomorrow, The trauma team at the hospital did like 4 or 5 imagining tests. Cant remember if they found anything major,I only have discharge papers so they don't say anything important anyhow Thanks for the info/ advice, not a big fan of lawyers but I am not in any shape to deal with this on my own. On the plus side I can get my police report today.

Ditto with the lawyer. As for the car, next time have agreed upon value insurance. I feel much better driving my Z around knowing that if something totals it, I'm not completely SOL. I doubt Progressive will be willing to give you much for the car, the other party's insurance is who you should be talking to. Or who Progressive should be talking to, anyway.

I will be the first to say....... It'll buff out.

But seriously be glad you are able to move. That is crazy. Now that you have an attorney your next step is to find comparable cars (most companies say same year or +1 newer) that are in the same condition as yours. Really just find the highest priced examples for sale that are close to you to really drive the point home. The sad part is they feel like they can "pay" for any option or change but an extra 25 bucks for a mint interior is not ging to cut it. So go BIG.

I will be the first to say....... It'll buff out.

But seriously be glad you are able to move. That is crazy. Now that you have an attorney your next step is to find comparable cars (most companies say same year or +1 newer) that are in the same condition as yours. Really just find the highest priced examples for sale that are close to you to really drive the point home. The sad part is they feel like they can "pay" for any option or change but an extra 25 bucks for a mint interior is not ging to cut it. So go BIG.

So would I be the first person that would prefer to go 2 years older?....lolbiggrin.gif

Cant remember if they found anything major,I only have discharge papers so they don't say anything important anyhow

And this is the reason you need an attorney. You might not be thinking right due to the concussion and coma. Although I was never out as long as you, I've knocked myself out for a bit trying to be Ricky Carmichael and I had trouble remembering and figuring things out for a couple days after. Hope things turn out OK. Hope the girlfriend is OK too.

So I talked to a lawyer one word Moron, he basically told me his game plan was the one I already had. So I left there and went to insurance lady good news they evaluated my car already. So I hear this and get ultra anxious sit down she shows me the numbers some good news some not, the good they are offering me 7k for the car. I paid 1k for it and put 1 k in to it so net profit I seriously thought they would offer me less than 1k for it. The crazy is I can buy it back for 1.5k I think not I have never paid more than 1k for a z although prices have really gone up in the last couple years, this thing is toast. So I passed. Next I ask about max coverage amounts on the guy who hit me, apparently this is no no. So I explain my position and the fact I need answers because between my girlfriend and I we are at 25k in bills with many more to come she says OK since you are that far along his policy is 25/50. So now I have to give her copies of my bills so far, what she told me is if my bills are that amount already she will issue a full policy payment of 25k a piece to my girlfriend and I 31 days after the accident. So then I will use that cash as a bargaining tool to drop prices and help negotiate better prices for the dental and chiropractors that are next. I was trying to keep my V.A. doctor out of this but since he is free I think I will make an appointment with him for my follow up head scans and evaluations. I cant do any better than a full policy payout well I could sue but turnips don't bleed blood. Oh and I found out that his truck is not getting fixed because he was using it for commercial purposes, I.E. delivering pizzas with out a commercial insurance plan. Apparently when you use a personal vehicle for work stuff regularly you have to call the insurance and declare to them the true nature of your intended use which increases your insurance to a 50/100 policy minimum I guess. NOTE.... This is Colorado and 25/50 is the state min on insurance.