Jump to content
HybridZ

~73 Turbo L28 to N/A RB25 240z Project~


Recommended Posts

/\ Thanks!

 

I've been spending my time tuning the Z. I've had to lean it out quite a bit via the AFM wheel. It's running good now, I can actually go WOT and not get attacked by backfire and bog. I can really feel the full power of this RB turbo now and I must say it's really nice. On the negative side of my AFM tuning the car has developed a cold start issue. It refuses to start cold. I'm attributing this to my lack of cold start injector, AAR, and so forth. My solution to this has been to unplug my CHTS during warm up. The car starts right up and once it reaches operating temp I plug it back in and all is well. If this is how it's going to be I'll have to put the CHTS on a toggle switch and it will just be part of the pre-flight check list.

 

In my rush to buy the final pieces during the turbo swap I bought a Kinugawa wastegate actuator. I had under 50 miles put on the set-up and the Z developed a vac leak. I found it was coming from the vac port on the actuator. The vac port is simply screwed in and had come loose. I re-tightened it and it came loose again. Attempted to tighten it a third time and add loctite and the thing snapped right off. Moral of the story don't compromise and buy some cheap China made crap!

 

IMG_6794_zps8c54b9ff.jpg

 

 

I finally got around to re-threading my shift knob lever and put my Burl wood shift knob on.

 

IMG_6789_zps0b9cc224.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to agree with everyone else here, amazing build. I was just wondering if you had links for the parts you purchased for your exhaust build, more specifically the 3in "Y" divider and the tips. I was also curious if the 3in downpipe required any modification to fit, thanks.

 

I didn't think anyone was ever going to ask! Finding a 3" Y was difficult, the few that I did find were cheap Chinese made pieces. After a couple weeks of research I found the company 42 Draft Designs which specializes in German car parts, and hand made in the USA.

 

 

The 3" downpipe didn't work out as I had hoped. Ended up just using the flange.

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the new wastegate actuator, Garrett "Special" 7psi. The rod arm ended up being to short so I had to buy a rod arm extension which in turn made it too long. Had to cut down a portion of the extension to get it just right. Cars back to running normal now, bov louder than ever.

 

IMG_6808_zps0502fb08.jpg

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to a suspension mod! Bought this black strut tower bar from 1 tuff z that he had on his newly acquired Fairlady. I'm not sure if it's a Jap spec or US made bar but I like the fact that it's black. Feels great too. Eventually a sway bar set will be in my future, most likely after brakes!

 

Installed the intake manifold heat shield which cleaned everything up quite a bit. Still need to get rid of the blue and yellow wires, and the spark plug wires over the valve cover are looking uglier and uglier. Datsun Spirit's spark plug wire kit will be in order soon.

 

gallery_2013_1318_333223.jpg

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been busy working on the silver 73 and GoKart lately so the darky has been put on the back burner until now. During my research of sensors and things needed to make this turbo swap run properly I neglected an area I believe to be my current problem. The TPS. The car runs good with 3/4 throttle but full throttle and or partial is causing a host of issues. I currently have a n42, n/a 280z throttle body & tps. I bought a 280zx tps a few months ago only to realize that it won't fit on the n42 tb. I ended up returning it for other parts I needed at the time and forgot about the whole thing completely.

 

In the mean time I've been playing with the AFR to try and get things smoothed out and I came to realize this wasn't the only problem, and remembered the TPS. So I bought a 280zx throttle body and TPS to match in hopes that the computer will be reading the correct sensor now and will run a hell of a lot better.

 

n42 on the left, 83 ZX turbo on the right

 

gallery_2013_1393_666402.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Almost 6 months from my last update, I need to get back on it! I've changed out my 280 air dam for a 240z one so I could run the front turn signals again. I sourced a nice set of old original lights and have everything installed. I'll post pics of the updated face as soon as I get her washed up and out for another photo op.

 

I haven't posted much lately due to lack of funding from a recent job switch but I got some nice b-day gifts to get the Z tuned and running better..

 

Fuel lab AFPR

 

gallery_2013_1393_236965.jpg

 

AEM AFR gauge, also I'm relocating the boost gauge into this dual pod that will reside in the glove box. I want the interior looking as close to stock as possible and have the original clock back in place.

 

gallery_2013_1393_358968.jpg

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...