HybridZ

Building a welding table.

I decided I was sick of welding on the floor or on a piece of sheet metal, so I decided to make a compact table out of stuff I had laying around.

It's made to fit over my tig welder so I can put it away when not used.

I'm going to put an aluminum top on it, as well as some adjustable feet and center supports.

http://i.pgu.me/pb1-jgxC_original.jpg

I want to play around with my new dimple dies.

http://i.pgu.me/PmEtXLhU_original.jpg

Any tips that I should incorporate?

I have a 4'x2' table, using square stock, just like that. The legs are square as well though. I have 4 12"x24" aluminum plates, I think 1/8" thick or so as the top. I like the Aluminium because it is light, easy to remove and move around in case I need to make part of the part I'm welding drop through. That, and it doesn't rust (or at least, the oxidation is more conductive then iron oxide).

8181806.jpg

e8057fc.jpg

If part of the weldment works better hanging off the edge I can accommodate.

Edited by BLOZ UP

I definitely agree with John about going with a steel top and putting a small table like that on good lockable casters.

Make the top fairly thick so it stays straight after years of throwing things on it, clamping, hammering, general abuse, etc. It's likely that it will become more of a "fab table" rather than just a "welding table".

I like to put some short pieces of pipe (open at both ends) at about a 45* angle on the legs to hold my MIG gun, and others with a capped end to hold SMAW rods. TIG filler generally stays on the machine as I clean it right before I use it.

Looks like you got the height about right. I can't stand bending over a short table all day!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, that is a nice bench.  I have a 4' x 3' x 0.75" plate of steel sitting on top of an industrial metal 'work cart'.  It was originally a convenient place to put it to get it out of the way, but beats the hell out of trying to move a 300# table around to make room near the welder for whatever big project I'm working on.

Edited by yellowoctupus

Mine is 4x10x1.25" thick. Blanchard ground flat with positioning holes to lay up aircraft stringers. My understanding was it was a jig bought out of an old Aircraft Plant that closed or something in the L.A. area in the early 70's. "Took it surplus sale out of a plant on Crenshaw and Imperial." I also got a typewriter desk from the guy with a "North American Aviation" metal asset tag on it, so....maybe that's it. Dead flat and heavy as hell!