HybridZ

Rb25det VCT problem

dizzle

I have a RB25det running SDS EFI standalone. I have had the car on the road for almost 3 years without ever hooking up the VCT and it ran great. I finally decided to hook up the VCT trying to get a little bit better spool/midrange power. I am using a summit racing RPM window switch to control it (right now it is on at 1100 and of at 4500 which is about factory specs). The problem is that when the VCT turns off as the rpms fall down to idle, the engine stumbles badly and then dies. A/F values do not seem out of wack, but it just dies. I kind of feel like as the VCT turns off the transition of the cam phasing is taking too long, leaving the cam in the middle "position". The cams are stock, head is stock, Freddy manifold, 450cc injectors. I know the solenoid is activating because I can hear it clicking on. I also tried to raise the activation point to give it more time between on/off and idle rpm but it still dies. Could something be clogged in the head since I never used it for so long? I know the cam is "phasing" as it should because the engine sound changes distinctly with it on.

Any ideas???

IMAG0303.jpg

Do you have any tips/tricks for using the SDS with the RB25DET? i am planning on using the RB Series 1 in a 240z and have both the SDS from another engine (not one i have used) and the R33 ECU. Which coils did you use and what changes did you have to make? Any info is appreciated.