HybridZ

Center Lock Wheels on S30

First, the basics. What are the advantages over a regular 4 or 5 lug pattern? Second, it seems possible, there are conversion kits available through Forgeline, but is it practical? Their kit uses and adapter to fit over the lugs to provide a mechanism for the center lock. If there are benefits to center lock wheels over multiple lugs besides quick changes and a clean look, is it worth the $1600 they are asking? Can it be done for cheaper? Just some food for thought.

Btw, here is the forgeline link. http://www.forgeline.com/products/center-lock-wheels-and-center-lock-conversion/center-lock-conversion/center-lock-conversion.html

check out member ZWOLF. I believe he runs a similiar setup. I love the clean look it provides. it doesnt look crappy and cheap like most lug covers on rims. pricey.. but u gotta pay for a set of killer wheels. keep us posted if you find a more affordable source.

Edited by v8dats

I don't think you will find much of an econimical approach to this as most of the manufacturers of these wheels are quality and expensive. Could take it up a notch and convert to 5 lug porsche wheels as I seem to recall center lock options for certain 911's for rediculous dollars.

There are some great reasons to avoid center lock wheels. The wrench required to torque them down will set you back $500, and the hardware and hubs will set you back a lot more than that. I own a Porsche GT3, and when I was looking for newer models ( mine is an 04) I found that most guys were trying to stay away from center locks due to the cost and complexity.

Other than the cool factor, you will probably be set back a bunch of cash because Centerlock hubs are going to be very expensive to have fabricated for the s30 platform! Think $10k with wheels and all associated hardware, and possibly more due to changes in the brake department that will surely be required.

Edit: I launched your adapter link, and I stick with my comments above. Doing the adapter creates yet another failure point. $1600 is a lot to look cool.

Good luck!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

HK240ZT,

Please forgive my abrupt response, I was not having a great day: not an excuse though. I have no direct experience, but if you were serious about doing this it'd seem to me a part of a much larger project, like building a car where it's important to be able to change wheels quickly. I'd assume the weight benefits to such a system are pretty negligible, especially for a street car. So it'd seem expensive, hard, and to vastly limit your choice of wheels, simply so you can could do theoretically do a 30 second pit-stop, and save a few pounds of unsprung.

Dave

I have experience installing and using center lock wheels on a Viper GTS-R during the 2000 Rolex 24 Hour race (we finished 7th overall). If its a style thing, go for it. If its a performance thing, they offer no performance advantage other then a quick pit stop. And Mike's cost estimate for the related tools, hubs, etc. is very low.

And the Forgeline link is for a styling part. You won't find those things on any serious race car. Too heavy and as mentioned above, another serious point of failure.

I have experience installing and using center lock wheels on a Viper GTS-R during the 2000 Rolex 24 Hour race (we finished 7th overall). If its a style thing, go for it. If its a performance thing, they offer no performance advantage other then a quick pit stop. And Mike's cost estimate for the related tools, hubs, etc. is very low.

And the Forgeline link is for a styling part. You won't find those things on any serious race car. Too heavy and as mentioned above, another serious point of failure.

Assuming the upright is designed around a centerlock, wouldn't it be lighter and stiffer?

Otherwise, I agree that its pointless based on the cost to benefit ratio.

Hi HK240ZT,

If you want to do a center lock for your 240z, Just Do It. Been thinking about it for years for my 240z, it's something I want to so bad, I think it is the COOL factor more than anything else.

Money is the main issue, so I went ahead and made what I needed.

Damn, that is impressive! :2thumbs:

• 5 months later...

With ANY centerlock setup, you should have a safety keeper.  This can be a spring pin, a pair of little tines that pop out, a safety clevis, whatever keeps the nut on the hub even if it loosens up.

I was a data guy and a mechanic on a professional lemans prototype race team, I have 'knock ons' on my austin healey (early center locks, oddly without keepers).  The cobra replica guys who run center nuts on their halibrands safety wire them in place for street use.

just my .02.

sjd