HybridZ

Best oil for a 280Z?????

jackwashere

In my 280zx I run Valvoline VR1 20w-50, the conventional kind. That engine was rebuilt with forged pistons, but I'm using stock ECU and such.

In my old 260z with webers I used to run Royal Purple 10w-40 on a fresh rebuild.

VR1 20w-50 for my turbo also. ;)

I've changed my mind! The best oil is anything from Motul! 'Course, it looks like I'm going to be a Motul dealer, but that had nothing to do with me changing my mind... :-)

I'm converted! I've been changed, born again even! John, when can I order some Motul oil from you? tongue.gif

For a street L6 I would run the Valvoline VR-1, as it has High zinc/phosphorus content, and is reasonably inexpensive. Pick the weight according to the climate you live in.

For my vintage racer I use the Brad Penn 20W50. Sticky, gooey, good stuff. If you buy by the case, not too expensive. The Joe Gibbs is probably just as good, but I think Joe is getting a big chunk of the purchase price as his name is on it.

In my 280zx I run Valvoline VR1 20w-50, the conventional kind. That engine was rebuilt

Why so thick BluDestiny? What is your pressure like? Cold/Hot.

EDIT: now I read the rest of the thread and see a lot of people are running 20w/50w?

Isn't that a bit hard to push through the oil galleys? The thinner it is the more oil you get over your parts, returning to the pan faster and remaining cooler due to a few factors. my 0.02

Edited by tyler031734
  • Like 1

Why so thick BluDestiny? What is your pressure like? Cold/Hot.

EDIT: now I read the rest of the thread and see a lot of people are running 20w/50w?

Isn't that a bit hard to push through the oil galleys? The thinner it is the more oil you get over your parts, returning to the pan faster and remaining cooler due to a few factors. my 0.02

It really depends on your application and the ambient temperature you run at. If you run at all in cool weather, no need for 20W50.

• 4 years later...

So I've been running 10W-30 for about a year and a half with no issues. However, in Australia they mainly run 60 weight oil, and the late-80s L28 Patrols run 10w-40. Is the low viscosity going to increase wear?

Also, would it be worthwhile moving to 5W-30 in the winter (if it is often -20 Celsius or colder)? Not that 10W would even matter if you can run 20w-60 at -3 degrees....

Edited by Oblithian

• 2 weeks later...

Because there aren't enough options for you to choose from already, I run Joe Gibbs Driven conventional 10w-40 break-in or hot rod oil on recommendation from my engine builder. I have a Datsun Spirit 2.7L 'stage 1' motor and the car seems very happy with that syrup. It is $10-11 a quart off amazon and supposedly the 'hot rod' oil is the 'brake-in' oil with a different label for the same price.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Been swapping from rotella 15w40 and castrol standard 20w50.

Staying now with 20w50 since all my stuff is now super high mileage.

At another forum is a good text only post of test results.

This same testing lies elsewhere and has pretty pictures but it loaded with advertisements in between.

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31363

• 4 weeks later...