HybridZ

hooker header problem

Ran these on my old car, steering shaft slightly touched but did not interfere with steering.

On my current build I had the steering shaft extended so now it clears with out issue. Don't know how that happened but the shaft I was using was about 3/4" too short. (maybe different year cars/parts)

I think any headers will have some risk of interference with the steering shaft, depending on your engine mounting....there's such a large variety of mounting kits and positions. It's not a big deal to mod the header collector or downtube in order to obtain sufficient clearance. If you go that route, pls be sure to post your results so that others can benefit from your experience.

Thx and good luck.

Sometimes the header has to be heated up with a torch and 'dimpled' in the area of interference to give a little room. Of course, if your headers are ceramic coated, that does present an issue...

Do you have a photo of where the interference is?

Davy

Details? 240Z? Type of engine mounts (JTR, MSA, Johns Cars etc)? Engine-SBC?

On two 240Z SBC projects using Motorsports Auto (MSA) engine mounts and Hooker block hugger headers (p/n 2100HKR black paint finish) I had to dimple the collector to clear the steering shaft.

The first 240Z SBC project only required a 1/4" dimple in the collector to clear the steering shaft.

The second 240Z SBC project required more then a dimple in the collector. I had to cut a small section out of the collector and then weld in a half section (cut length wise) of 5/8" tubing to provide a concaved section for the steering shaft to clear. I also had to grind the MSA motor mount some to clear the steering shaft.

The two projects were identical, but the second install required more work to clear the shaft. Turned out that the driver's side MSA mount had been manufactured with a wrong angle where it bolted to the frame.

Edited by Miles