HybridZ

240z AWD swap!

rk2334

Hello all,

I am about to swap everything under 32r hood plus Front and rear axle and suspension cross member into 72 240z(see pics). I have had a searched and cant find a build thread or anything fit info for this swap?

Any help from you would be amazing

Thanks guys !

an3m1.com_13455145041.jpg

an3m1.com_13455145042.jpg

an3m1.com_13455145043.jpg

an3m1.com_13455145044.jpg

an3m1.com_13455145045.jpg

I wanted to do something kinda similar. I love the late 90's Monte Carlo's, and wanted to swap the rb26 plus AWD into that. From what I was told, you'll need to strip the car down to nothing, and reinforce the sub frame. Shouldn't be too bad if you can do the work yourself, but will get very expensive if not. If you are going to use the GT-R rear end, first thing you'll want to do is get a HICAS delete bar. The system isn't all the great when it works, and when it doesn't the car is pretty close to un-drivable. Also, did it come with the transmission control unit? I didn't see it in the pics, and that is a needed piece. It'll look like an ECU, but bigger and would have been in the back. That's what tells the transmission to change from RWD to AWD when it's needed.

You probably won't find much of a guide, but if you give the guys at Mckinney Motorsports they would be your best bet of getting help with the project.

We've tackled AWD Z's but it's not a bolt on affair. It would have to be carefully thought out and built on a jig to be completely correct.

We have a partner shop that we work with to do all our suspension setups and its no small feat to get the drivetrain to line up and working. The motor ends up being pushed out further towards the nose of the car then the RWD applications so nothing you find that is offered pre-made will work. The floor pans will also be modified and the transmission tunnel. The rear end will have to be custom adapted along with axles and driveshaft. The electonrics, hicas, attesa... etc will be another area of customization.

Good luck with the task unless you plan to send the car out to a shop... even then the price tag is pretty $$$$$.

Yup, that's a big job. I have put a few 2005-2008 V8 domestic cars (GTOs & Magnums) under American cars from the 50s, making them a unibody car and retaining the entire floorpan, suspension & wiring from the drivetrain doner.

It takes a lot of measuring and I think it would be a lot less fun without an electric overhead crane to help with all the careful fitting and moving big pieces of car around. I would also recommend building yourself a perfectly flat jig to build on. Wheelbase changes are the absolute least of your worries on something like this. Track width is very important if you don't have the skills or other means to form new outside panels to cover the wheels. Also be mindful of the drivers position relative to the windshield and fire wall. That is critical to making it a car that looks right and is nice to drive.

Good luck!

edit - Also if you have 6-10k to get this into a rolling car let me know and I will have it picked up. seriously

Here is one idea...http://www.komycars.jp/drag/z.html

Edited by Snailed

Good luck.

+1

It has been tried a few times, but I have yet to see anyone succeed. You must have pretty good fabrication skills to even try this. Built a few race car chassis have you? Fitting it to a full tube chassis would be easier.

Search around, there is one thread I have seen about swapping in the rear suspension. Required custom rear floor pans and sub-frame.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that one in the video is a v8 awd conversion and im guessing may have beeen a little easier then the GTR swap.

I believe this is the same car.

I personally believe it would be alot easier to build a tube chassis to mount the gtr drivetrain into then put the Z body on top. If i ever try it thats the way i will do it. trying to fit the unibody stuff together just sounds way to precise.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this BTW? I have been tooling this idea around in my head for a while. Every time i think about it seems like just front halving the car and picking up the mounting points for the subframe is the way to go. Basically keep as much of the stock Z engine compartment for fender mounting purposes then run a cage thru the firewall to the back of the car making it more rigid. then add the TTT rear suspension with a gtr Diff, axles and brakes. Seems easy enough... who wants to sponsor me ;> huh.gif

• 3 months later...

I considered it. The frame on my new VQ based tubeframe Z would have fit the needed front diff but the complexity of a second axle setup and tuning the resulting drivetrain seemed like a nightmare. I'm not sure you'd end up with a faster car than simply keeping a 2wd car light and well balanced.

6947941720_f546e236c3_b.jpg

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/79649-progress-on-my-insane-vq35hr-240z-project/

Mark, 

Agreed.... the only area that i can think that a AWD z would have over a well balenced z like yours would be on regular roads. On any prepped tracked whether it be drag or road course the AWD kinda loses it advantage. 

BTW IF i were ever to try an AWD z car using the GTR drivtrain it would be with a setup like yours. that would be the easiest way to do it. 

Mark, 

Agreed.... the only area that i can think that a AWD z would have over a well balenced z like yours would be on regular roads. On any prepped tracked whether it be drag or road course the AWD kinda loses it advantage. 

BTW IF i were ever to try an AWD z car using the GTR drivtrain it would be with a setup like yours. that would be the easiest way to do it. 

I am not sure I agree with that statement. The track events here in aus are dominated by AWD turbo cars (WRX, GTR and EVO) except for events where the rules exclude them. I am not suggesting they are unbeatable but the results show they have an advantage. But regardless if a car is RWD or AWD power to weight and balance are still all important.

Having said all that I still prefer RWD.

I am not sure I agree with that statement. The track events here in aus are dominated by AWD turbo cars (WRX, GTR and EVO) except for events where the rules exclude them. I am not suggesting they are unbeatable but the results show they have an advantage. But regardless if a car is RWD or AWD power to weight and balance are still all important.

Having said all that I still prefer RWD.

I can see where your coming from... even though i did say road course i have no real knowledge of it. I was more referring to drag racing.

I can see where your coming from... even though i did say road course i have no real knowledge of it. I was more referring to drag racing.

Point taken. For drag racing I would expect AWD to become a disadvantage due to the weight as was already mentioned.

We also run a lot of road courses here (generally refered to as Tarmac Rally or Targa events) The AWD cars tend to out perform the RWD cars in these as well as the track events.

I would love to compete in a Targa but the costs are out of my league. I'll stick to track days, hill climbs and motorkhana.