HybridZ

triple carb linkage, best option?

Jimmy

Hi,

I have a triple dcoe/cannon setup on my L24. First I had the stock pedal linkage, with the common three pushrods linkage type. Tried two types of return springs, and adjusting them just as much as needed. Still tought my throttle pedal was verry heavy, and have now installed a Weber LP4000 wire/linkage kit with Balancer/levelers keeping the carbs together. Looking at this kit installed, I dont really like it that much. It has springs built in to the mechanism, and the pedal is super heavy.

What are you guys running? Do you have heavy pedal`s, ore is it possible to get it light with three carbs?

Would be verry nice with some feedback before ordering more parts...

Thank`s! :-)

Mine is easy to operate, I have also a Cannon intake with firewall rod.

Based on inputs gathered on several Z sites, it seems cable is more suitable, it also make low load operation easier to control since rod linkage is linear whereas cable wouldn't by using a cam.

Edited by Lazeum

Before trying heavy return springs, make sure the main throttle rod is not binding. I've read about many (most?) having issues with rod-end alignment on the Cannon manifolds, thus binding the shaft and not returning to idle properly. At the moment, I'm only running 2 rod-ends (my middle one was bent!). My throttle is smoother, easier to control and returns better.

thinking about that Leon, I had the issue while I was reinstalling my setup after engine rebuild. It appears rod support are not perfectly straight. Some rotations later and swap between supports got me a quite straight setup easy to operate.

This is maybe what happened to you & Jimmy.

Edited by Lazeum

Mikini manifolds only come with supports at the front and rear. My 10mm chrome rod was bent and I think the reason was because of the pull from the return spring on the middle of the unsupported shaft. One of the things I was planning to do was to get a 3rd rod end in the middle there. In fact, I think I sent 3 rod ends to the guy who bought my carbs.

I guess I just got lucky with my linkage , it couldn't work any better than it does. Used original firewall rods and made one additional bellcrank to connect to stock mikuni linkage.

Good pedal feel, very sensitive- can blip the throttle like motorcycle all day and always returns to idle.

I will be watching the center rod as mentioned

Thank`s for the feedback! The Weber LP4000 kit was a complete kit with wires, springs and rod bolting on under the carb. Then it uses "levelers" between the carbs. This might be a good setup with one single dcoe, but I did not like the levelers between the carbs, and the pedal was verry heavy with this kit. After reading your feedback I vent back to mounting the rod on the manifold, and using the "pushrods", that I like. I removed the third eye-bolt at the end of the manifold, and are now running the pushrod for carb 1 and 2 on the same side, and have attached the wire to it. Little hard for me to explane, but I`ll take some pictures of it and post. I really like how it turned out, and pedal feels verry light! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

jimmy, pics when you can, please!

Thanks!

Thank`s for the feedback! The Weber LP4000 kit was a complete kit with wires, springs and rod bolting on under the carb. Then it uses "levelers" between the carbs. This might be a good setup with one single dcoe, but I did not like the levelers between the carbs, and the pedal was verry heavy with this kit. After reading your feedback I vent back to mounting the rod on the manifold, and using the "pushrods", that I like. I removed the third eye-bolt at the end of the manifold, and are now running the pushrod for carb 1 and 2 on the same side, and have attached the wire to it. Little hard for me to explane, but I`ll take some pictures of it and post. I really like how it turned out, and pedal feels verry light! :-)

• 1 year later...

Since the one above is just a engine bay pic, I made one with text on to describe. Forgot to take pics of the actual linkage, sorry... Have a nice weekend! :-)

Jimmy - thanks! a year later I reply, I should have turned on notifications/ followed this thread. Anyway, thank you for the picture!! I knew it wasn't just me, but the linkage binding or adding weight due to the eye-bolt(s) or the rod. I will try this out this weekend... and yes, I've been driving around with a heavy pedal / strong return springs since this was posted _-_ agh        -Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...