HybridZ

Headlights turn on and off by itself?

itsaprothing

Hey all,

So starting a few days ago, I would go back to my Z after work and what not and for some reason the battery would always be dead. At first, I thought I just needed a new battery, but finally one night, I was about to go out for a drive and I see that my headlights are on. I thought I had simply left them on, but then they quickly turned off.. and then on.. and then off again.

I'm assuming it does this while i'm gone, which is why the battery keeps dying on me.

I also want to add that when i'm driving, sometimes the left turn signal will just turn on by itself. And I don't mean turn on like when you use your signals to turn, the left arrow on the dash doesn't flicker, it stays solid. And outside the car, the turn signal will also be lit & solid. But, by flicking my turn signal left and then back to the off position again, the problem disappears.

^I just wanted to add that little bit in case it might be a clue to my current problem now, but if they're completely unrelated, which i'm sure they very well could be, I apologize.

I've never had any electrical problems with my Z and have never needed to learn to diagnose this stuff so all the help I can get is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like a short somewhere, since it is headlights and turn signals I would suspect your stalk assembly rather than wiring. probably easiest just to pick up a new assembly from a part-out someone is doing and replace it, then you can play forensic pathologist on the removed one and if it is fixable, store it as a spare if the replacement breaks too.

What year ZX do you have? I'm asking because I have a spare for an 81 model ( the one without the big windshield wiper switch).

Also I couldn't find a single ZX in any junkyard. I also know someone parting out a ZX so he may be able to get the part you need.

Edited by BluDestiny