HybridZ

S30s With Turbo - Step Inside

Doing some research on turbo setups in the S30 and noticed pretty much everyone who tried, said the truck manifolds, flipped/facing down, will not fit. Would like to know exactly where the interference was, as I suspect it had to do with the bulky 3-bolt exhaust flanges. Cutting those flanges off makes a huge difference. Here is a truck manifold I modded for an FC RX7 and as you can see in the other pics, those are flipped truck manifolds. Does anyone know whose setup that is?

moddedcastmanifold.jpg

LSX_turbo_passside.jpg

LSX_turbo_front.jpg

LSX_turbo_driversside.jpg

I'm not 100% sure beacuse I dont actually have his mounts, but it looks like the passenger side JCI engine mount might hit the header since it bolts further forward that the F-body mount does. If you relocated that alternator to the lower f-body position, you could flip the headers upside down/forward facing and I bet they would fit. Would just need to relocate the coils off the engine.

-Will

Just to be clear, the 3 bottom pics are not my car or any I did. Put them there to show the modded manifolds. That setup is in an S30 as can be seen from the 1st pic. Trying to find out who did this.

Every reference I saw to the truck manifolds not fitting said they hit the frame rails.

Edited by Scottie-GNZ

Before the whole longtube thing, I tried about every LS manifold I could get my hands on. I would say that a forward facing duo of truck manifolds would yield the desired result.

IIRC, the massive flange was the problem. I wasn't at a point that I wanted to cut them up just then, or I would have.

I know you can use a 98 stainless steel F-body manifold for sure on one side. I'll dig through my pics tonight, and let you know.

EDIT: Found em.

pass 98 mani

SDC10041.jpg

SDC10040.jpg

SDC10039.jpg

I think I also recall that the mount on the passengers side is in the way of the truck manifold, when flipped. I know that you can't run AC (fbody) when you flip truck manis, and the JCI kit mounts to the AC tabs. I'd guess that mount would have to be relocated.

Food for thought.

Edited by SUNNY Z

• 2 weeks later...

I used truck manifolds on my setup. The issue is the right side manifold points down into the frame rail. I chopped that manifold to the point I could shoot the exhaust straight forward and used 1/4 inch steel plated to filled gap above the pipe in the manifold. Here are the only pictures I found that kind of shows it.

newturbo2.jpg

newturbo6.jpg

Edited by sq_creations