HybridZ

1980 280zx

CaptainJoe87

Damn, really? I've read a lot of people talking about them and it seemed like the only people talking bad about them were people that didn't own them. A bunch of guys on the 240sx forums have had good things to say about them. A couple guys have been riding on the non damper adjusting ones for a couple years. Which ones did your friend have, adjustable or non?

Anyways, I'm still waiting on the body shop and trying to plot my next few moves with the rest of the money in my car savings. hahaha

Question, my 2nd gear synchro is going bad, could I use the one from the spare 4 speed I have to replace it? Everything I have read says the gears are all the same, I just have a 5th gear overdrive.

I'm also back on a wheel hunt hahaha I want something closer to 16x10 and am throwing the idea around of stretching tires once I do coilovers and lowering the car a good bit, but that's gonna be a while. I want to get the suspension and everything under the car sound before I sond more money on wheels. The ones I have arent that bad.

He had the non adjustable, and this was a few years ago. Maybe the quality improved.

As for the synchro. If you know how to tear it apart and put it back together, go for it. They are the same. I would never do that even if I could because the price of a new tranny altogether is relatively cheap. 

Only problem with a 16x10 is tires. If you can find some 245's then go for it. I think 225 tires look fugly when they are that stretched. 

What do you need to know about balancing the tires? Just hand them to a tire guy, or if you have access to a machine do them yourself.

So, my intake boot that comes off the afm developed a tear and I had to replace it. $8 and a hacksaw later and this is what I did.

post-13998-0-14272900-1368757865_thumb.jpg

Just a coupling and cutting down my pipe the cone filter was on. I had to cut it down so it fit but everything went smooth.

Not sure if you're in the market for coilovers yet, but I saw a set of used Godspeed coilovers for $320 on zilvia. Just put up an add for some cheap coilovers and you'll probably find a set. No use in modifying new ones (for the most part).

edit. Also try and use a cut rubber hose or something around the circle where the intake goes through the rad support. If it bounces around a lot it could crack/wear away at it faster than you expect. Happened to me so I just bought another rubber boot.

Edited by BluDestiny

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, because overtime I get to do exhaust and coilovers sooner than I thought. So wheel paint goes on the back burner because it is only cosmetic. So now I have a question, I have two sets of headers. One set is from a 78 I think and the other is for my car. One has round ports and one has square. I have a p79 head, but I remember someone saying either round or square headers could go on any port head and the other one couldn't. Does anyone know which is which and if so have any recommendations as to which headers I should use on.the car?

P79 is round port, so you can use either round port headers or square port headers. Are the 78 headers the 6-1? because then they won't clear the steering rack, 

Honestly I'd use the one for your car, since it kinda makes sense. Why would you use the other one over the one made for your car?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, small update. In the middle of a tune up. Waiting on wires, cap, and rotor to come in. I went with the NGK V-power plugs, not sure if these plugs or just because new plugs, but the car runs a lot more smoothly. Along with the wires, rotor, and cap, I also ordered my exhaust tubing finally. So hopefully by the end of next week my headers will be on, pipe will be run straight no cat or muffler, and all the tuneup stuff will be done too. Saving for coilovers and install hopefully before the end of the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the headers on today, also a n42 non egr intake all hooked up. Still working on a few vacuum leaks but I have them temporarily plunged for now. Sounds awesome running open header but I'm still going to pipe it out. Front two wheels are painted neon yellow and on the car. Might have time to do the rears tomorrow hopefully, who knows.