HybridZ

1980 280zx

CaptainJoe87

Question... The brake parts change from 79-81 and 82-83, what is the difference? I got a guy that is going to sell me his front strut tubes from an 82 so I can cut down my down time when I do coilovers. He is giving me the brake calipers too and I guess I just need to know the differences between the two setups. Can anyone shed some light on it for me?

Yep, s13 coilovers, $550 shipped. Gonna get some new rotors, ceramic pads, stainless brake lines, and maybe a bushing kit. That way when its all back together it will be good to go. I was looking at the adjustable tc rods from technotoy but I'm not really sure if I need them or not.

I want them on tomorrow hahaha Reality is, I also want to have everything right so I don't.have to keep taking it apart. If I can get it all done this month then I will be happy.

The tc rod bushings on the car are totally shot, so maybe it would be the best thing to do.

Yes, they come with the heim joint bushings, and all the nuts and stuff needed. When you first put them in you can match the length, but I took it for an alignment because I wanted to run less caster (quicker turn in and I needed it for my tires to clear the Gnose and sideskirts).

They are one of the few things adjustable in the front end of the car. Nothing in the rear is adjustable. So if someone says 4 wheel alignment, they are ripping you off, get only the front. The thing is when you get coilovers, the height needs (or at least really close, I used a micrometer between the collars) to be the same in the front and rear or it will throw off your camber in the front and your camber/toe in the rear.

You can put the TC rods in anytime you want, they are a 1 hour job. and really once you have the front struts set up (cut, welded up and with a hub/brake rotor on) the take like 30 min and the rears about the same.

What are you doing about the top hat in the rear?

Edited by BluDestiny

I'm looking at doing Rota shakotan 15x9 -15 all the way around. They should fit pretty nice and I have 25mm spacers if I need them for the rears.

I was going to do rb's but decided against it. This way I can rotate tires when I need to with less trouble, tires should be cheaper, and the shakotans look pretty damn cool too.

Probably going to run a small stretch, maybe a 225/50 or a 215/?? Haven't fully decided.

Edited by CaptainJoe87

I ordered steel brake lines the other day and when I got them they looked like this. The two for the front look right but I haven't been under the car to see if the rears are right. Anyone know what they are supposed to look like and if these look right? Thanks

post-13998-0-79731300-1374271474_thumb.jpg

post-13998-0-17634300-1374271500_thumb.jpg

Ok, ill have to take a look.

My issues may have become more.serious though. I think my oil pump may be going bad. My pressure is all over the place and sometimes zeros out. The strange thing to me is the light never comes on? I'm two hours from one with no tools. Any suggestions on quick fixes or other things to look at so I can drive home?

Edited by CaptainJoe87

Good news, my car didn't blow up! Also good news it was just the $34 sensor and not anything major. Also, I finished piping out the exhaust. Headers to Subaru resonator, to msa 2.5" kit. I had to use the piece they expected you to use off the cat in place of the muffler to get everything to line up. sounds pretty nice, I like it.

In other news, my coilovers are in the shop getting the selves welded on. New front rotors will be put on, low dust ceramic pads all the way around.

Sold my xxrs today. I am going to go with Rota rb 17x9.5 all the way around. Going to test fit and decide if I need to stretch tires or not. I'm going to go same size tire all the way around so I can rotate.

Edited by CaptainJoe87

I did. I have about 1.5" I can still come down in the rear without taking collars off. I used the stock top hats as opposed to drilling holes so that alone gives me an extra 2" of height as opposed to the ones on the coils. Just got the fronts on yesterday and they are totally slammed out, still have all the collars on them too and my front fenders are 22" from the ground. The rears settled a bit more so I'm 23.75" each rear and last night I was 22" fronts. All the vitals still have about a three finger gap from the road too. (Oil pan, frame, stuff like that.) Had to run 1/4" spacers up front to get the tires to spin. It looks good, so I will take some pictures asap. I'm waiting on ordering my wheels for now. Gotta make sure I get the right backspacing or spacers. I am leaning towards Rota rbs pretty hard right now.

Side note, there is a turbo zx at the junk yard and it is kinda hard not to go pull all the turbo parts and get sidetracked on my build. If anyone needs turbo stuff, it looked all there.

Oh, and my exhaust scrapes everywhere... Hahaha the header doesn't run perfectly even with the frame, it comes down a bit so ill either hope to catch it on a speed bump and bend it up, or go out with a hammer or something to prevent myself from scraping a hole in it.

Edited by CaptainJoe87