HybridZ

Burning oil or not. I'm going to JCCS

sqweekykneecap

Gentleman,

First off, thanks for viewing the thread.

Right, Like stated in the topic description, the L28et i built last year (for my 74 260z) is burning oil. In only 13 days, JCCS in Southern California is going on and I'm still planning on attending w/ the Z Anyway!

(It's all my fault, but hey, we have to learn...or research, which i failed to do)

When i hooked up my oil catch can, (from crank case to catch can, back to intake) i did not reinstall the PCV valve on the intake. Thus caused excessive oil pressure. Which in turn, ruined my turbo seals (had to rebuild the HX35) and also ruined either my valve seals or rings. (performed a compression test, the results were the same from last year after i rebuilt the l28et. compression was fine)

The head gasket is new and was replaced after the FAILED catch can install. (possibly 500 miles on it), forgot to mention.

So, the engine smokes after putting around and driving conservatively. For example, sitting at a red light/stop sign i will notice more and more smoke around my car. Yet, when i enter boost it seems to "seal up", and after the +pressure, it will take a longer to begin to smoke.

Like i stated before, the head gasket is new with <1000 miles on it, and something else was messed up (aside from the turbo seals) when i had the brief period of excessive pressure from not having a pcv valve installed.

Question to you:

1.) Have you heard of this periodic oil burning problem before?

2.) Did I ruin my rings, valve seals, or something else?

Thanks again,

-Zach

Recently I started to smoke really bad through my valve cover vent. Like puffs of smoke coming out like a train when you take the oil cap off. I did a compression test and 1-2 were very low. I pulled the head and saw the gasket was a bit messed up, but not blown. I replaced it with a new MLS HG and inspected the cylinder walls for any scoring (from broken ring or anything). Nothing, smooth as glass.

I put the car back together and it still smokes from the valve cover, oil gets in my bay pretty bad and I think I might be getting compression into my coolant.

Recently I started to smoke really bad through my valve cover vent. Like puffs of smoke coming out like a train when you take the oil cap off. I did a compression test and 1-2 were very low. I pulled the head and saw the gasket was a bit messed up, but not blown. I replaced it with a new MLS HG and inspected the cylinder walls for any scoring (from broken ring or anything). Nothing, smooth as glass.

I put the car back together and it still smokes from the valve cover, oil gets in my bay pretty bad and I think I might be getting compression into my coolant.

REALLY.

way to rape my thread **** stain. DELETE TOPIC.

Might still be leaking oil across the turbo seal from too high of an oil pressure...pretty certain your oil rings and valve seals are fine, if they were replaced during the rebuild.

Edited by Kash

The last time I saw these symptoms I had a broken ring land on piston number 1 and there were no noticeable scars in the cylinder wall just low compression (130 while all others were 150+).

Gentleman,

First off, thanks for viewing the thread.

Right, Like stated in the topic description, the L28et i built last year (for my 74 260z) is burning oil. In only 13 days, JCCS in Southern California is going on and I'm still planning on attending w/ the Z Anyway!

(It's all my fault, but hey, we have to learn...or research, which i failed to do)

When i hooked up my oil catch can, (from crank case to catch can, back to intake) i did not reinstall the PCV valve on the intake. Thus caused excessive oil pressure. Which in turn, ruined my turbo seals (had to rebuild the HX35) and also ruined either my valve seals or rings. (performed a compression test, the results were the same from last year after i rebuilt the l28et. compression was fine)

The head gasket is new and was replaced after the FAILED catch can install. (possibly 500 miles on it), forgot to mention.

So, the engine smokes after putting around and driving conservatively. For example, sitting at a red light/stop sign i will notice more and more smoke around my car. Yet, when i enter boost it seems to "seal up", and after the +pressure, it will take a longer to begin to smoke.

Like i stated before, the head gasket is new with <1000 miles on it, and something else was messed up (aside from the turbo seals) when i had the brief period of excessive pressure from not having a pcv valve installed.

Question to you:

1.) Have you heard of this periodic oil burning problem before?

2.) Did I ruin my rings, valve seals, or something else?

Thanks again,

-Zach

When you say "burning oil" how much consumption are we talking? How many quarts per how many miles?

Second question, have you checked for oil dropping onto the exhaust or other hot part? I have had that happen to me. Oil spray onto exhaust from lose banjo when pressure was high, but forward speed prevented visible smoke. Once stopped residue oil burned off, but pressure was too low to squirt.

Also, if you do not have the catch can routed back to the intake you have the possibility of smoke. Almost every car that I have owned with just a valve cover breather smoked at one point or another from the breather.