HybridZ

How can valve covers be modified?

AkumaNoZeta

I have a 7M-GE and I want to take out that dip on the valve covers and smooth them out and paint them black. What is the best way to do that? I was thinking of using fiberglass but I don't know how it will react to the heat.

I'm pretty sure when most people shave valve covers they grind the raised sections off.

For those who don't know what the 7MGE valve covers look like I attached a pic below.

I'm with John on this one. Form a piece of aluminum sheet to match an weld it on. Grind and sand the welds, weld up the low spots, and sand again for a seamless appearance. That's the process I use when shaving the bosses off of L-series intakes and valve covers and it works just fine. You shouldn't have to do any cutting on your current covers.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use fiberglass or filler to build up that much material.

IM001556.JPG

I don't have the means to weld aluminum though. I'd have to get someone to do it. Even so, would warpage be a problem? I'd hate to have a valve cover that doesn't seal.

And what about using JB Weld to fill in the welder's low spots? I live in a small town and haven't found any fabricator around here that I be happy with.

Edited by Grim

Locally the only high temp epoxies I can find are http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CarGo-3-oz-ThermoSteel-High-Temp-metal-repair-jar/_/N-26sd?itemIdentifier=515553_0_0_&target=shelf and http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/JBW0/8297/N0400.oap?ck=Search_epoxy_N0400_-1_4074&keyword=epoxy&pt=N0400&ppt=C0137 (I know, you said no JB weld.)

I might be able to find something better at Lowe's or is there a certain brand you would trust more that I should order online?

JB Weld will eventually fail on parts that heat cycle. My first L28 engine had a chunk of the lower skirt glued in with JB Weld, unknown to me when I bought it. I drove it for 9 months including a trip to California, and then it started seeping oil out of the repaired area.

I spent months searching for aftermarket 7M valve covers and I never found any. Too bad they're $700 though, that's almost half the price of putting the DCOEs on.

I've been having a lot of set-backs lately, the big angle grinder I've been doing most of my chassis work with burnt out on me so I have to buy a new one. Then there's the pricing of the ASE tests I plan to take after I've been working at this shop for a year (January) and the car I'm driving while the Z is down still needs a lot of work ($$$) before I trust it to drive out of town to take the tests. Even before my grinder broke I wasn't get much done because I've been welding up my boss' dad's 33' Ford truck every weekend, he's on vacation this week though so when I get paid Friday I'll have a new grinder and a whole weekend for the Z.