HybridZ

L28 N42, FI supercharger.

MidnightRider

I'm trying to work out the details of a fuel injected supercharger set up so I can take it from a pipe dream to a reality (provided I can figure out how to do it). I have a few questions, and my experience with supercharged cars is limited to having driven them (learned to drive on one.. liked it a lot ;) )

It also must run with AC!!! (or I'll have to go with ITBs instead)

I. The Blower! Max, the blower!:

First thing, found a supercharger manifold from an old Jim Cook Racing kit! I don't want to go with a Camden unit for various reasons, so I'm wondering what other options I have regarding other superchargers. I'm looking for something of similar dimensions because it must fit under the stock hood.

Will anything fit the mounts for the Camden unit?

If not, then recommendations on how to mount it?

(adapter plate? weld up and drill?)

What size snout do I need to make it work?

II. Blow off valve & Injectors:

I've referenced this thread a lot when brainstorming: azcarbum's custom JCR kit

I'm going to do exactly what he did with the injectors. I want to run 7~9psi so is a blow off valve a good idea? If so how/where would I mount it? Recommendations on injectors, sizes?

III. Coilpacks:

Looking at azcarbum's build. Why? Do I need them?

IV. Throttle Body:

Where do I mount this? It was obvious to put it where the carb was in azcarbum's build.. but not sure where it should go in my set up.

Any recommendations on what to use/where it would go?

V. Intercooling:

Nope.

VI. Oil Pan:

How do I keep this baby cool?

VII. ECU

If you have a MS unit for sale, PM me!

Engine specs:

L28

~2k on a rebuild

N42 Head, ported and polished.

Schneider Stage II Cam

MSA 6-2 Headers

Stock FI (won't be for long)

Edited by MidnightRider

There are photos floating around here(HBZ), of a supercharger mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay. From what I seen, this allowed for a nice fitment, and the use of the a/c. I THINK?? it was frank280z?? anyways it had 1 serpintine belt driving the whole assembley, a/c, water pump and altinator. The tricky thing I noticed was getting at the spark plugs, the supercharger was right on top of them!! Look for eaton m70 or m90, usualy off a mercedes benz kompressor type, and or ford thunderbird setups, mabe boniville???? too?? Unfortunately I deleted all my info and designs I downloaded for this type of setup, however most info I got was found SEARCHING around on Hybrid Z... I can tell you tho, it is possible, and it has been done, you just gota search, search, GOOGLE SEARCH!!!

Yep, saw that Rocky Auto set up in Super Street. It's an Eaton but no info on what type. Manifold looks custom from scratch. I have L28ET injectors on the parts shelf already. My biggest questions are about mounting an Eaton supercharger to the JCR manifold, and then the throttle body set up.

Thanks for the info on the coilpacks, that cleared up some confusion. What's the advantage to having them over an L28ET distributor? Maybe it might be eliminating that stupid thing, my distributor's vacuum advance has always been a problem.

EDIT:

OH those pics on their website help clarify how this thing gets piped up A LOT. Double thanks and extra kudos. :2thumbs:

Edited by MidnightRider

• 1 month later...

There are photos floating around here(HBZ), of a supercharger mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay. From what I seen, this allowed for a nice fitment, and the use of the a/c. I THINK?? it was frank280z?? anyways it had 1 serpintine belt driving the whole assembley, a/c, water pump and altinator. The tricky thing I noticed was getting at the spark plugs, the supercharger was right on top of them!! Look for eaton m70 or m90, usualy off a mercedes benz kompressor type, and or ford thunderbird setups, mabe boniville???? too?? Unfortunately I deleted all my info and designs I downloaded for this type of setup, however most info I got was found SEARCHING around on Hybrid Z... I can tell you tho, it is possible, and it has been done, you just gota search, search, GOOGLE SEARCH!!!

The supercharger in question is a M62 and yes its mounted on the passenger side. There isn't room for AC unless you decide to eliminate the power steering pump altogether. The design does make getting at the spark plugs a bit of a pain however with the bracket/stud design of the SC and intake plenum i can change a set of plugs in under 20 minutes without issue (which is probably better than most new cars - haha).

The setup is proving very reliable and i have been road racing the car competetively for 4 years now with next to no issues. The only supercharger related problem i encountered was earlier this year my homemade tensioner pully started to fatique and i started throwing the belt at redline. I fabricated a stronger tensioner pulley setup and have since had no issues. It dynoed at 225hp with 245lb/lbs of torque without any head work and the stock cam. I do have a M90 on the workbench that eventually will get installed with more modified head/cam work once the engine starts to show signs of end of life (which doesn't appear to be happening).

The race season is now over here so its time to park the Zed (as we call them here in Canada) and time to move onto ice racing....

I've attached a picture from a few years ago of the engine bay showing the SC setup.

Cheers,

Mike

post-689-092835600 1350959876_thumb.jpg

The supercharger in question is a M62 and yes its mounted on the passenger side. There isn't room for AC unless you decide to eliminate the power steering pump altogether. The design does make getting at the spark plugs a bit of a pain however with the bracket/stud design of the SC and intake plenum i can change a set of plugs in under 20 minutes without issue (which is probably better than most new cars - haha).

The setup is proving very reliable and i have been road racing the car competetively for 4 years now with next to no issues. The only supercharger related problem i encountered was earlier this year my homemade tensioner pully started to fatique and i started throwing the belt at redline. I fabricated a stronger tensioner pulley setup and have since had no issues. It dynoed at 225hp with 245lb/lbs of torque without any head work and the stock cam. I do have a M90 on the workbench that eventually will get installed with more modified head/cam work once the engine starts to show signs of end of life (which doesn't appear to be happening).

The race season is now over here so its time to park the Zed (as we call them here in Canada) and time to move onto ice racing....

I've attached a picture from a few years ago of the engine bay showing the SC setup.

Cheers,

Mike

Whoa nice work! I never seen your setup before, looks clean. How much methanol you spray??

Heres a link to rocky auto's supercharged stroked l28. looks to be efi as well. Its in japanese but maybe the pics will help.

http://www.rockyauto...il.php?id=10922

You realize the Rocky Auto Z was a purchase from Stateside, right? It was a car they bought in the States.

Don't get me wrong, Rocky Auto does some trick stuff... 1UZ in Box Skyline for example... but this one is really up to 'rocky auto standards' IMO

It's a supercharger mounted on an Arizona Z-Car Manifold with a tig welded adapter and some strut rods.

Somewhere I've got photos from the Auto Salon last year.

You realize the Rocky Auto Z was a purchase from Stateside, right? It was a car they bought in the States.

Don't get me wrong, Rocky Auto does some trick stuff... 1UZ in Box Skyline for example... but this one is really up to 'rocky auto standards' IMO

It's a supercharger mounted on an Arizona Z-Car Manifold with a tig welded adapter and some strut rods.

Oh man photos please!!!!

huh.... I'd never thought about that, but that REALLY makes sense. Quite a cheap and elegant solution if you think about it. My .02 cents I was going to add to this thread was that I USUALLY don't really like superchargers on inline engines because packaging is usually just odd. But considering that we DO have a readily available 4 barrel carb intake manifold the rest of the process isn't too complicated.

So, I must say.... I support :2thumbs:

Edited by Gollum

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers,

Mike

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PM'd Edited by MidnightRider