HybridZ

peadal box

I hope this is in the right section - I'm new to this forum.

Question 1.

Building a 240z track car, made from several z cars. Tub I am using came with no pedals. So I assumed I could just swap box from a parts car. Have tried two - one from a 240 and one from a 260. neither seem to line up. about 1/4 inch. off. (see photo).

What gives? Any help would be appreciated.

Question 2.

I see several old threads about mounting aftermarket pedal assembly. Is there a "sticky" on how to do such a sway.

Thanks again. Great forum.

WCameron

post-9036-008768500 1347569390_thumb.jpg

The thing that doesn't line up is the bolt holes for the power booster, it changed a couple of times. Is you car a series 1 chassis? Whats your chassis number? Do you plan on running a power booster? You can drill new holes in the firewall, or re drill your pedal box.

The are two different pedal boxes. One with a 80mm horizontal bolt spacing and one with a 100mm horizontal bolt spacing. You need to get the correct pedal box for your firewall. You can't just redrill, the holes are too close and you'll end up with a flexy firewall and mushy brake pedal.

There are at least 3 different pedal boxes.

The only years I can verify are that the '71 has a different clutch pedal layout, where the master cylinder rod connects to an arm that is attached to the side of the pedal arm, later set-ups the master rod attaches directly to, or around the pedal arm. This causes a difference in ability to swap clutch pedal arms. Also the brake booster mounting spacing is tighter on this one than later pedal boxes.

'73 has a different clutch pedal layout, as I mentioned above, which also moves the clutch pedal slightly to the left. The Brake booster spacing is also wider on the '73.

The '74 260 pedal box is very similar to the '73 pedal box, but has one very important difference, in that the steering column mount changed. Earlier steering columns used 4 bolts to attach the steering column to the pedal box, where as in '74, this changed to a two bolt configuration. This change also caused the pedal box to grow longer than previous years.

I can't verify when the change between the '71 and '73 happened, could have been in '72, or it could have been in '73, I have not had a '72 apart to verify how the pedal box is laid out. I can only verify the change between '73 and '74, as a definite year change.

I have had all 3 of these pedal boxes in hand at the same time to verify the differences.

There are at least 3 different pedal boxes.

The only years I can verify are that the '71 has a different clutch pedal layout, where the master cylinder rod connects to an arm that is attached to the side of the pedal arm, later set-ups the master rod attaches directly to, or around the pedal arm. This causes a difference in ability to swap clutch pedal arms. Also the brake booster mounting spacing is tighter on this one than later pedal boxes.

'73 has a different clutch pedal layout, as I mentioned above, which also moves the clutch pedal slightly to the left. The Brake booster spacing is also wider on the '73.

The '74 260 pedal box is very similar to the '73 pedal box, but has one very important difference, in that the steering column mount changed. Earlier steering columns used 4 bolts to attach the steering column to the pedal box, where as in '74, this changed to a two bolt configuration. This change also caused the pedal box to grow longer than previous years.

I can't verify when the change between the '71 and '73 happened, could have been in '72, or it could have been in '73, I have not had a '72 apart to verify how the pedal box is laid out. I can only verify the change between '73 and '74, as a definite year change.

I have had all 3 of these pedal boxes in hand at the same time to verify the differences.

Thanks for the information. Helps narrow down the options.

Wayne