HybridZ

Newbie project

Although I joined this forum couple of years ago, just now deep into a project - "wallet deep". I'm building a dedicated 240z track car I plan to use for hillclimbs, track days, etc.

Using a 327SBC (aluminum heads, single carb), T5 transmission and R200 rear. (which I bought from a stalled conversion project)(looking for someone to install a Quiafe for me). As an aging Baby Boomer I think this is about all the horsepower I can manage.

going with race-weight fiberglass fenders front and rear, fiberglass hood and rear deck lid. Trying to keep weight down.

I am using Arizona Z brake kit with 5 lug conversion, and their coil over kit.

Not being a welder fabricator I am having a local race shop install cage, etc.

Hoping to have car finished by January to start off new season.

Would welcome any comments or suggestions. (wheel selection especially)

Great forum.

WCameron

post-9036-000319200 1347571148_thumb.jpg

post-9036-078446600 1347571190_thumb.jpg

post-9036-036075100 1347571226_thumb.jpg

post-9036-072032500 1347571262_thumb.jpg

post-9036-046022500 1347571294_thumb.jpg

post-9036-097681000 1347571318_thumb.jpg

Although I joined this forum couple of years ago, just now deep into a project - "wallet deep". I'm building a dedicated 240z track car I plan to use for hillclimbs, track days, etc.

Using a 327SBC (aluminum heads, single carb), T5 transmission and R200 rear. (which I bought from a stalled conversion project)(looking for someone to install a Quiafe for me). As an aging Baby Boomer I think this is about all the horsepower I can manage.

going with race-weight fiberglass fenders front and rear, fiberglass hood and rear deck lid. Trying to keep weight down.

I am using Arizona Z brake kit with 5 lug conversion, and their coil over kit.

Not being a welder fabricator I am having a local race shop install cage, etc.

Hoping to have car finished by January to start off new season.

Would welcome any comments or suggestions. (wheel selection especially)

Great forum.

WCameron

You can check out a few threads that will help.

Mike Kelly's z car project Great track car build

and my thread (My ultimate dream LSGTZ) something like that.

We both have spent years building these cars and your reading the theads could very well keep you from having to learn certain things over for yourself. Dont re invent the wheel.

If you ever have a question dont hesitate to ask.

Matt

You can check out a few threads that will help.

Mike Kelly's z car project Great track car build

and my thread (My ultimate dream LSGTZ) something like that.

We both have spent years building these cars and your reading the theads could very well keep you from having to learn certain things over for yourself. Dont re invent the wheel.

If you ever have a question dont hesitate to ask.

Matt

Thanks Matt. Just spent a couple of hours reading the history of your build. What a spectacular car! Hope to see it in person one day.

Question: turns out my pedal box doesn't fit the tub I am using. See where you used a Tilton pedal assembly. Do you happen to remember the unit you purchased? Any major issues fitting.

Thanks

Wayne Cameron

Thanks Matt. Just spent a couple of hours reading the history of your build. What a spectacular car! Hope to see it in person one day.

Question: turns out my pedal box doesn't fit the tub I am using. See where you used a Tilton pedal assembly. Do you happen to remember the unit you purchased? Any major issues fitting.

Thanks

Wayne Cameron

I would have to go back and look to get the exact part # for the pedal assembly. It is the Tilton assembly that has the remote reservoirs for the master cylinder. This way you get rid of the old bulky MC under the hood. It is a tight sqeeze but I changed the gas pedal as well to a floor mounted rather than hanging pedal. It is custom design we make in house, $150. It allows me to roll my right foot while heel toe. The brake and gas pedals were to far apart before because the steering column got in the way. If you need me to take some up close pictures of the foot box / pedals let me know.

You are using the same brakes as i did so there wont be an issue there. I need to let you know when the time comes, what pads I use. The wilwoods that come with it, I didnt like. The car is so light that it was hard keeping heat in them. I replaced with Carbotech. I'll need to look as to the exact #pad. I am glad to help in any way I can. You also want to chime in on my thread because I check it more often than I do the ones Ive commented on.

Good luck,

Matt