HybridZ

bare metal instead of paint?

dylanh

I was in the process of sanding down my fender and doing body work when an idea struck me, what if i just sanded all of the paint off and cleared over the metal?? can anyone think of any negatives? what if i want to paint the car later down the road? Also, what would be the best way to go about doing this, paint stripper, electric sander or what? sorry for all of the questions I just want to hear opinions from the experts.

p.s. I will likely do the car in sort of a rat rod type styling if i go this route

Edited by sr-s14

You would have to be an excellent body man in order to get the metal smooth with out using filler. There is no negatives other than that if you like the look. If you wanted to paint later you would have to prep the surface like any paintjob so don't let hat stop you.

well thanks for your responses, i started goin at it today with a 5" palm sander and some 80 grit pads, got about 1/3 of the hood done in about 2-3 hours...itll take some time but so far im really digging it. I just could not stand the faded gold color my car was. hoping to come out with something similar looking to this at least in the raw, slightly beat up styling http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/sstp_1011_1973_datsun_240z/

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been using an electric orbital sander and man, is it time consuming. Also, this La humidity is making it rust, I cleared over it with spray paint so I can protect as I go but apparently it didn't work very well. I need to find something other than rattle can clear to use until I get the whole thing done and have it professionally cleared.

Edited by sr-s14

• 4 weeks later...

Will paint bond to bare metal? Isn't that the whole point of primer?

I'm sorry man, but the answer is NO. You need to carefully read the product data sheets before you spray anything on your car. Before, it was recommended to use an etching primer that 'soaked' into the pores of the steel but now the epoxy primers the paint companies are making are a better direct to metal sealer. That humidity will leave a moisture underneath the clearcoat that is already boot designed as a dtm product. Im not trying to be arrogant but I do hate for you to waste money when I personally dClassic Kustomson't think it would last a year. Check out my facebook, it has pics of my 280 from stripping it thru 2 different primers to paint.

• 2 months later...