HybridZ

lt1 wiring

I am still working on the car and rebuilding the trans at the moment. Wiring is still on my mind though and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm basically starting with a shell. I scrapped the dash harness and I'm using all mechanical gauges and toggle switches for all light controls.

I have the mindset that all i have to do it plug in the harness to the motor, mount the pcm and just delete all wiring that I no longer need. Then have someone alter the pcm to delete emissions crap.Is it really as simple as I'm thinking since I wont have a dash harness or stock gauges..???

Yes, essentially that's it. You probably want the Factory Service Manual or something similar to help decipher what all the wires are, but it's not that difficult - it just takes some time and effort. If it winds up to be too hard, you can always purchase a ready to use engine harness that includes fuses and relays and just requires you to hook up positive, ground, and ignition hot.

Wont I only need a fuse for the pcm? The other interior parts will have there own panel...

I'm afraid it's not quite that simple. Even just doing a standalone engine harness will require multiple feeds and fuses based on the various loads that need to be supplied to the various engine components. I know it's not cheap, but if you want a standalone engine wiring harness ready to go, you can use something like this: LT1 Standalone Engine Wiring Harness

I'm using a stand alone harness for the engine. The lights and what not run on a completely different wiring harness than the engine. If you can afford the standalone get that it will save you time and frustration. PCM for less or some other places can do the ecu tune for you. Make sure you get the VATS removed or it will not start.

• 3 weeks later...

You have the same setup as I have. It is a lot easier than you would think. The problem being that you got rid of the dash wiring but I think I can walk you through it if you need. If you have the complete harness with fuse box from the LT1 then you are golden.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually it is called the SES light and unless you have a resistor attached to the OCM to simulate the light the fans will be on all the time and the motor will only run in limp mode.

A simple bulb and 12V is all that is needed. I like the SES light as it turns on when starting and if it doesn't go off after starting then you have some codes tripped.

There are a bunch of threads on this including some of mine, just search for SES light or check engine light.

Being the old geezer that I am I couldn't remember if it actually kept it from starting or from running correctly out of limp mode and fans on all the time.

I had lt1 pcmtuning.com do some tuning on my PCM and the results were amazing. I have a LT4 cam kit in my engine and Solomon made some tweaks to provide for that change. Basicaly you tell him what you have done to the engine, what you want removed, tire size, rear gear ratio, and send him the download from your PCM. He puts in the changes and sends it back, You make a few runs, capture the data and send it back. He will fine tune it and make some suggestions, you get 3 tunes and it all for around $100.