HybridZ

Advice on to rebuild or not to rebuild

Herman

I have a 260 and was able to chase down the car that my original engine was transplanted into a few years back. Now that I have pulled my original engine and have begun to start rebuilding THAT engine, what do I do with the other shell?

Should I see if I can do a cheap 350 build on it or just sell it off? The car itself is pretty much a roller with no real interior just a good body (just surface rust here and there, no rust) stock wheels and good tires, so it's a good starting block to a build up, I just don't know about the cost of a 350 swap and if I can do it on the cheap.

I was curious what everyone on here thought about it and the reality of doing it in a weekend or two OR if I should just see if I can sell it off. I asked around classiczcars but they advised me to come here.

I have a 260 and was able to chase down the car that my original engine was transplanted into a few years back. Now that I have pulled my original engine and have begun to start rebuilding THAT engine, what do I do with the other shell?

Should I see if I can do a cheap 350 build on it or just sell it off? The car itself is pretty much a roller with no real interior just a good body (just surface rust here and there, no rust) stock wheels and good tires, so it's a good starting block to a build up, I just don't know about the cost of a 350 swap and if I can do it on the cheap.

I was curious what everyone on here thought about it and the reality of doing it in a weekend or two OR if I should just see if I can sell it off. I asked around classiczcars but they advised me to come here.

I say build it. Of course, I have a L28e that would go in there nicely, but that's another story. If you put an engine in it and even a couple junky seats you can actually sell it as a driveable project car and that will bring in way more than if you just sell it as a shell.

I say build it. Of course, I have a L28e that would go in there nicely, but that's another story. If you put an engine in it and even a couple junky seats you can actually sell it as a driveable project car and that will bring in way more than if you just sell it as a shell.

That was kind of my idea. Cleaned out interior with a running 350 and tranny, junk yard seats = sellable project for more then I got it for (which was nothing). I just need to figure out if I can just bold it in and drive it out of my garage

I am curious to know why you really want to do a 350 swap on a car you aren't planning on keeping. I'm sure you can find an L6 somewhere out there for cheap. I just think it would be far cheaper to put it together kind of like it came than to do the swap. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll get out of it what it costs you to do the swap.

I am curious to know why you really want to do a 350 swap on a car you aren't planning on keeping. I'm sure you can find an L6 somewhere out there for cheap. I just think it would be far cheaper to put it together kind of like it came than to do the swap. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll get out of it what it costs you to do the swap.

Honestly, I can't find a good engine or even a wrecked car out here for cheap that I would be able to do the swap with. I can pick up a fully built and pulled 350 w/tranny and bold them into the roller I have for around $500-600 and hopefully pull 800-1000 from someone in my area for the car.

I got the car for free bc of the engine, so any money I make off it is straight profit

There are tons of old L-series in the Sacramento area, and Bay Area as well. It will be easier and cheaper in the long run to just swap an L in. A cheap, wonky, hastily-done V8 conversion probably won't fetch much from what I've seen.

There are tons of old L-series in the Sacramento area, and Bay Area as well. It will be easier and cheaper in the long run to just swap an L in. A cheap, wonky, hastily-done V8 conversion probably won't fetch much from what I've seen.

Ok, good point. I've been on the look out for the engines and cars in my area. I have listed my shell as well. If I come across a drive train in good order, I will drop it in and sell it off. I just want to get ride of the shell ASAP

Donate $20 to the site and list it in the classifieds here. A good body shouldn't be too hard to sell, probably fetch $400-500 or so depending on condition.

I was hoping to get 500 out of it to be honest. I just didn't feel like paying the $20 on here and the $60+ on ebay so I'm trying to see what's the best bet

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

if it was sold through this site (PM's or whatnot) you should really pony up the $20 bucks. It's totally worth it for the knowledge that's here, not to mention the good Karma.

I definetly get you on the car Karma portion of it, but I was sold via CL.

I just needed and liked that advice from everyone on here bc I already have 3 engines and was curious if I should just build a drag/strip car