HybridZ

VQ35de swap "grounding"

yem73z

So I attempted to start up the motor and the 350z cluster wouldnt light up. There was an incomplete circuit somewhere and was not giving any power to the cluster. so i looked at the jungle of a harness that i cut up searching for ground for it and taped it to the floor pan temporarily and sure enough the cluster lit up lol....One mystery solved. Then I go off trying to turn over the engine and i hear a loud clack coming from the ecm main relay on the ipdm. I hope i didn't blow it. So I checked out my wiring and sure enough I crossed the alternator/starter source harness on to the positive lead and put power connector part of the harness on the ground.( I had my battery put in backwards) it was dark in the middle of the night. Anyhow, i ended up switching them and still no crank. So I started looking around the engine bay for issues and notice that the alternator has a grounding line that needs to be bolted to something on the chassis, and also on the drivers side of the engine it has another grounding line that needs to be ground as well, and I just realized that the transmission also needs to be ground to the chassis somewhere too. Now that I have everything grounded I realized that I forgot that the motor has no oil since the beginning of the swap. So I add oil and transmission fluid and finally gave it another try. And after a good long while I prayed, crossed my fingers, and wished with all of my might and I turn the key.....NOTHING. Nothing happened. I went through a check list of stuff. ground, spark, everything. Couldn't figure it out. Then it came to me. There is a Clutch pedal position switch that enables the motor to turn over as a safety feature. I mounted and remembered that i forgot to make a bracket for the stock 240z clutch pedal to depress it when fully down and it wasn't pressed. So I simply pressed it with my thumb while turning the key. Then I hear KA-KA-KA-KA-KA.....the motor was cranking and almost turned over. I was so happy. however it never fully turned over and so back to the drawing board. The last thing just came to mind. I forgot to put fuel in the fuel cell since i was still doing a lot of welding on the car. So I got some gas from the lawnmower in the backyard and gave it another go. After a few cranks it fired up. Finally success. But the car was unbelievably loud as hell. I just remembered that I chopped the exhaust header to clear the firewall and have not fabricated the exhaust system. no wonder there was so much smoke and heat. I turned off the car since i didn't have buy any radiator hoses yet and there was no coolant.I only ran it for like a minute. But anyhow I should be on the road soon. Thank you Hybridz and all of its awesome members that contributed to getting this project near completion. More pics to come.

post-13353-051330600 1348242524_thumb.jpg

post-13353-036704800 1348242558_thumb.jpg

post-13353-077796600 1348242589_thumb.jpg

post-13353-068054200 1348242622_thumb.jpg

post-13353-080028600 1348242633_thumb.png

post-13353-012672000 1348242756_thumb.jpg

@ Sypherslayer.....yeah me too, i cant wait to get it rolling around town. If your in the stockton area, we should hang out and represent our Z cars. I also might need some nuts and bolts here and there for my 240z, maybe you might have some lying around i can buy off of you. Anyhow, all I have left to do to get it road worthy is to get the cars bodywork done and in primer at least so I can get the windshield installed and I'll worry about the paint later. Also Im gonna need to mount another seat and buy some wheels for it. I ended up selling my rays engineering gramlights.

@ Sypherslayer.....yeah me too, i cant wait to get it rolling around town. If your in the stockton area, we should hang out and represent our Z cars. I also might need some nuts and bolts here and there for my 240z, maybe you might have some lying around i can buy off of you. Anyhow, all I have left to do to get it road worthy is to get the cars bodywork done and in primer at least so I can get the windshield installed and I'll worry about the paint later. Also Im gonna need to mount another seat and buy some wheels for it. I ended up selling my rays engineering gramlights.

We should hang out though my Z is a looooooonnnnngggg ways from running. (having a hard time finding an engine). any idea what wheels you are going to put on?

@ sypher slayer I'm looking for any wheels that would fit over the wilwood brakes. Doesn't even need to be fancy, maybe some knock off rota grid offroad or xxr 530's , or even some crown Victoria mesh wheels 16x7 +0. I just want the car to roll. I am gonna finish up some wiring tuck stuff today and maybe even mount a del sol seat if I'm lucky. The bride seat I have are too narrow and the del sol seats might fit better.