HybridZ

Which Coilover setup should I go with?

I'm looking into uprating the suspension in my 260Z but I'm not sure what setup to go with. My car will be running only around 260hp for a while but I plan to stick an RB26 in at somepoint so it will have to cope with more in the future. It mainly a road car but will also do the odd trackday, drag day. Theres a few setups I'm looking at:

TTT Coilovers: https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/260z/front-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z

P1010024.jpg

IMGP0901.jpg

These would be a nice easy quick install, the quality looks good and I have the option of using them with stock tophats (for the rear) and camber plates (on the front) but they aren't a dual perch design which is something I was hoping for.

McKinney coilover kit : http://mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_240+260+280Z+parts

IMG_3928Large.jpg

222.jpg

I like the look of these, they are dual perch and would also let me use camber plates on the front and stock top hats on the rear. The only issue I have with them is that I'm not sure how good the Megan shocks are quality and performance wise.

AZC Coilovers: Link

newshock8.jpg

WilksboroHotRodGarage046_zpse1078794.jpg

Agian these are dual perch which I like but I'm not sure how good the shocks and springs will be and I'm not sure if it would be possible to run the rears with stock tophats, if not it might be possible however to make something like the plate below in order to fit them to the rear without the camber plates.

gIMG_4207.jpg

gIMG_4210.jpg

Gaz Gold

IMG_063220Medium.jpg

IMG_063320Medium.jpg

IMG_063920Medium.jpg

IMG_063520Medium.jpg

I'm pretty sure the quality on these will be top notch and they can valve them to suit any spring rate I decide upon and run my choice of camber plates or top hats but unfortunatly they don't make a dual perch setup and also I'd have to send my parts to them which due to my job I don't really have time to do as I need parts waiting for me when I get home in order to get the work I need done although if I can get another set of 260z struts/ect then I can send them off to Gaz and have the final product waiting for me upon getting home.

What do you think of the above setups? Which would you go with? Any help/advice is hugely appreciated.

Is money an object? These kind of things tend to get very expensive very fast. I bought a ground control kit from techno toy and made my own with illumina shocks. The car isn't done yet, and I haven't driven on them, but the quality is very good. Allows for stock hats/camber plates as you want, and isn't super expensive (i'm a college kid on a budget). I'd steer you in that direction.

+1 for ground control and illuminas, you know what type of shocks you are running and are easily replaceable. In the long run when you finish the kit, it would cost similar to the complete coilover strut kit. I went this route to buy coilovers first then shocks and not blow all at once.

AZC Coilovers: Link

Agian these are dual perch which I like but I'm not sure how good the shocks and springs will be and I'm not sure if it would be possible to run the rears with stock tophats, if not it might be possible however to make something like the plate below in order to fit them to the rear without the camber plates.

The rear strut towers are actually thick enough that you can cut out the slots for the AZC rear top hats rather than chopping the entire top off and welding in the camber plates. I designed bolt-in plates for the fronts.

Nigel

How about mine?

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/products_main.php?cat=10&scat1=47&scat2=43

You get the Koni racing inserts which have a bunch of support in Ireland for rebuilds and re-valving, the DP racing camber plates that don't require any cutting or welding on the strut tower, you get a completely rebuilt rear hub with new bearings, etc., and the struts are inspected, crack tested, and powder coated in whatever color you want.

http://www.koni.ie/suspension/car-tuning-in-ireland/

If one were to take their car to a shop and bring all of the necessary hardware to do a coilover conversion what would you expect to pay? I am tryin to see what the difference would be vs. buying your set up John....I know you have quality stuff.... that is not in question.

If money is the biggest factor I would recommend Ground Control coilovers. They are the least expensive option if you can take the suspension apart yourself and take it somewhere to have the struts cut and the perches welded on. I've never read anything bad about them so that's what I bought.

If you want a shop to do all the work I would go with a strictly bolt on set up, provided doing it in your garage isn't an option.

As for the Megan Coilovers, I read a couple bad reviews. This is just speculation though.

Is money an object? These kind of things tend to get very expensive very fast.

I've not got a massive budget but I don't mind spending a bit more to get the best setup I can as handling will be very import to my project.

The rear strut towers are actually thick enough that you can cut out the slots for the AZC rear top hats rather than chopping the entire top off and welding in the camber plates. I designed bolt-in plates for the fronts.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't want to use rear camber plates mainly as I won't it to be nice to use on the road and camber plates would mean more noise, vibration and also a small open area to let some dirt, dust and fumes inside he cabin.

How about mine?

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/products_main.php?cat=10&scat1=47&scat2=43

You get the Koni racing inserts which have a bunch of support in Ireland for rebuilds and re-valving, the DP racing camber plates that don't require any cutting or welding on the strut tower, you get a completely rebuilt rear hub with new bearings, etc., and the struts are inspected, crack tested, and powder coated in whatever color you want.

That lookd good although I am kind of hoping for dual perch if I can

As for the Megan Coilovers, I read a couple bad reviews. This is just speculation though.

I was kind of leaning this way at the moment, do you have links to any bad reviews?

I can't see what could be wrong, the lower section is just threaded ss tube so that can't go wrong and its easy to weld on and the coilovers are made by BC Racing who have a good rep in the uk and are used on a large number of cars here.

What do you mean by dual perch? You will enjoy having the camber in front but after a few races you'll want them in the back too. ( Oversteer can be fun and scary). I have DP plates on all four corners. No additional noise and no fumes. So easy to install and use there is no argument against them unless you think the difference between 3 and say 3.2 degrees of camber is significant (which at my level I don't).

If you're stuck on an adjustable perch why not go for some where you can just use shorter springs?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about what you mean?

What do you mean by dual perch?

It means you can adjust the ride height without loosing shock travel and allows you to set the preload exactly how you want it.

You will enjoy having the camber in front but after a few races you'll want them in the back too. ( Oversteer can be fun and scary). I have DP plates on all four corners. No additional noise and no fumes. So easy to install and use there is no argument against them unless you think the difference between 3 and say 3.2 degrees of camber is significant (which at my level I don't).

Well, you might be right but I'll try it and see how I get on, I was hoping to gain enouth camber adjustment by using T3 camber arms.

What does this "preload" actually do for you? In my experience the weight of the car itself provides an adequate static load on the spring. Although each company has a different marketing "spin" to try to be more competitive in sales, they are all pretty much the same. If you wanna get low, ask ComicArtist for advice. But dont confuse the two subjects. If you want to go around corners fast as johnc for advice. In a z car, camber plates and spring rates offer way more bang for the buck than either sway bars or adjustable LCAs. In fact, adjustable LCAs really just add a lot of extra adjustments that you have to keep up with, specifically track and toe, which have a fairly negligible effect over stock. Every time you screw with the rear LCAs you will have to get an alignment-not true with camber plates in the rear-just push in and race, push back out and go commute. Go to an SCCA-IT race, and see what the fast guys are running.

I'm also not understanding the desire for spring preload on the S30 - unless you need to control ride height/pitch for under body aero.

Preload has no affect on spring rate and OEMs use preload to get the static ride height they want while still using soft springs for ride. The current Viper runs 3" of preload on a 250 lb. in. spring.

The only way I can see to "preload" a coilover conversion is to run super short strut inserts (which would basically just limit droop), anyway, but that would be pretty hard to adjust without playing with spacers in the bottom of the tube??

I looked back at the pictures of the AZC and the McKinney, now I see how they adjust both the spring perch and they have an external perch for the (shock) insert. Pretty neat. Does that system fall apart when you jack the car off the ground? What keeps the shock in the tube (what little tube is left)? I've never seen any of these in person, but they are pretty cool.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 2 weeks later...